Rat cage/furniture

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blueeyes4

I'm not sure I'm posting this in the right place cuz I'm a little confused as to how to post but I'll give it a try.
I will soon be looking for a bigger cage as my babies grow. I found an old bookcase or cupboard turned into a rat cage on pintrest and I'm wondering if any of you have attempted this? The shelves had holes in them and ramps, there were hooks for toys and such, and it was caulked and lined to try and minumize the smell and chewing. Pros and con's you can think of?
I'm assuming it may begin to stink after awhile if I can't potty train them but thought it was a cool idea :) what do you guys think?

I posted this in the habitat section.
A long time ago, I did exactly that. The boo case was turned into a rat cage. I loved it, it had plenty of room and lots of fun stuff...and then within a month is started to smell really bad. I was sure I had everything covered but I was wrong. Pee on wood or even melamine is disgusting! Some people really like their cupboard cage but I ended up throwing mine out.

Pee can really just soak into any porous surface.... That includes wood.
Theory: if it can get stained than it will hold urine and therefore stink...

That's likely the best decision. Homemade cages seem impossible to keep clean. I know I couldn't keep mine from smelling within a few months.

I don't think anything beats a critter nation, except a double or triple critter nation [emoji6]
2b6a20e8a350165601dbfeb8b38e04f1.jpg

Back