Rat breeders in Kansas City area

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mackenzielark

I am looking to get two little boys for my sweet Ben who's brother died two days ago. I am looking to get then ASAP but have been struggling to find a breeder and have not found any in a shelter that are of the correct age for him. If anyone knows please let me know- I would rather avoid petsmart

Have you checked craigslist or online ads?

Please don't get them from a breeder and support the cruel business.

I have been looking on craigslist I just can't find any that are of a good age to be with Ben. I thought purchasing from smaller breeders wasn't supporting cruelty.

There are a lot of different opinions on what constitutes "cruelty". Obviously, large, unethical breeders are to be avoided. But even smaller ones who only create occasional litters and adopt out all the offspring could be considered to be "playing God" and forcing a female to concieve, which many of us are opposed to.

Don't give up on craigslist too quickly. I don't know of any rat rescues in Kansas. Are you close to the border near a neighboring state? Tiny Toes has a great list of rescues by state...you may see one in a neighboring state and arrange transportation?
http://www.tinytoesratrescue.org/#!usa/c1nk3

It is just upsetting to see people purposely breeding rats, when there are so many in need of homes or being abused by other "breeders". :(
Maybe not right this second in Kansas City, but everywhere else.

There are a lot of rescues on here that show the damage that happens from one rat breeding. We have tons of rats that need homes in the rescues it is very difficult for us to support or to suggest one to support a breeder. Even most breeders are a far cry from being ethical. Support a rescue your fees for adoption help them feed others or take in others.

What's the correct age that you are thinking?
From what I've seen most breeders sell their rats when they are very young, and have waiting lists and whatnot.
I tried looking around real quick. There's two 3.5 month old boys for adoption at the Humane Society in Topeka, which is an hour outside of Kansas City? Don't know how far you can travel.
John
And Ringo
Just an idea, sorry I can't help more! Keep looking, I'm sure their are some boys close by that need you! c:

Back