Rat Balding On One Side of Face

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rattypatty

My foster rat Cracker (roughly a year in age) began losing fur on the right side of her face a week ago. I first suspected mites, but the site is smooth and does not have blisters. It cannot be ringworm as the skin is not dry and patchy. There is also no inflammation or redness. She does not have any other bald patches except this one.

I considered barbering as a cause, but why would it be so focused on the side of her face? Wouldn’t there be other patches of baldness?

I texted my vet about it and she thought it was very strange. She suggested I come in for an exam. I’m wary though because this is a foster rat, not my own, and I quite honestly don’t want to spend a fortune on vet bills, especially if it turns out to be harmless. The rescue I am fostering from has too many vet bills as it is to help out. I am looking for more opinions to see if we can narrow down the severity of this.

And to note, I have not noticed excessive scratching. In fact, she doesn’t seem bothered by it at all. I am completely perplexed.

Attachments

• F5AEE7D2-7247-4D93-B63C-657AAEFB691D.jpeg
    F5AEE7D2-7247-4D93-B63C-657AAEFB691D.jpeg
    35.7 KB · Views: 43
  • 6E2C5255-F40F-442C-9706-E2768B05E3FA.jpeg
    6E2C5255-F40F-442C-9706-E2768B05E3FA.jpeg
    32.2 KB · Views: 42
  • A08DFB51-F916-4686-975B-A930E6E2E250.png
    A08DFB51-F916-4686-975B-A930E6E2E250.png
    239.9 KB · Views: 40
  • 9367A82A-4DC2-40E7-BB8F-0DCC984A3C18.jpeg
    9367A82A-4DC2-40E7-BB8F-0DCC984A3C18.jpeg
    27.4 KB · Views: 42
Have you tried to check some similar but older threads here? Hope your rat is okay.

She could have something that is causing her some discomfort and she is rubbing at it more during her grooming. an absess or infection? does her breath smell ok? can you look inside her mouth on that side?
I'd give her Doxycycline or Baytril if you have any, it's likely the rescue could provide them if you ask (it really is their obligation to provide the care she needs!)

She could have something that is causing her some discomfort and she is rubbing at it more during her grooming. an absess or infection? does her breath smell ok? can you look inside her mouth on that side?
I'd give her Doxycycline or Baytril if you have any, it's likely the rescue could provide them if you ask (it really is their obligation to provide the care she needs!)
I don’t know if I can get a good look. She’s only been with me for a month. She’s not exactly skittish she’s just a little…spicy, if you know what I mean. She was an under-socialized feeder before being surrender at the rescue. I’m sure the rescue can provide some antibiotics, that’s a good idea.

My foster rat Cracker (roughly a year in age) began losing fur on the right side of her face a week ago. I first suspected mites, but the site is smooth and does not have blisters. It cannot be ringworm as the skin is not dry and patchy. There is also no inflammation or redness. She does not have any other bald patches except this one.

I considered barbering as a cause, but why would it be so focused on the side of her face? Wouldn’t there be other patches of baldness?

I texted my vet about it and she thought it was very strange. She suggested I come in for an exam. I’m wary though because this is a foster rat, not my own, and I quite honestly don’t want to spend a fortune on vet bills, especially if it turns out to be harmless. The rescue I am fostering from has too many vet bills as it is to help out. I am looking for more opinions to see if we can narrow down the severity of this.

And to note, I have not noticed excessive scratching. In fact, she doesn’t seem bothered by it at all. I am completely perplexed.
Has anyone suggested an early ZGT? I sincerely hope not but have to say that it looks to be just that.

Has anyone suggested an early ZGT? I sincerely hope not but have to say that it looks to be just that.
Hmm, well there’s not any inflammation, and I feel like that would be a huge flag indicating ZGT. Unless it’s just taking a long time to develop.

Back