R.I.P. Wheeza Whizzle

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RatsRGods

Wheeza was born in July 2006.
I named Wheeza after the character in Steel Magnolias named "Wheezer" because when I first got him, he seemed to have such a weird anti-social personality. During playtime he would always go under the couch and I could never get him out. At the time it was very frustrating but I can look back on it and laugh. He was a little hellion!

I called him my rat with 9 lives.
When he was about a year old, I came home late one night and found his head covered in blood.
!!
He didnt seemed to be in any pain, so I washed him up and rushed him to the vet first thing in the morning. It turned out he had an abcess leak inside of his ear where I could not see it.
He had to have it surgically removed. He did SO well. The vet made him this fashionable little vest to wear so he & his cage mates wouldnt bother the healing incision.
I love this pic of Wheeza. Last summer, his FAVORITE thing to do was have his evening granola snack on the screened in balcony, he LOVED to feel the warm summer breeze on his face :)
vest.jpg

After surgery, he was a new rat! OMG, he was so friendly and lovable!
I think it was being relieved of the abcess pain, but I'd also like to think that he understood I took care of him. He was a big baby after that and I never had trouble getting him to come to me!
Then... last fall he develped an ear infection and pnemonia. This was the worst thing ever. Poor little guy was on so many antibiotics. All he could do was lay there. I nursed him back to healthy, fed him water and food through a syringe. He slowly grew stronger. He was a little wobbly at first and he would fall over and walk in circles b/c of the ear infection, but man, was he a fighter. When I wanted to protect him during playtime, he insisted on doing as much as possible "No mom, I'm gonna be a normal rat again!" I would imagine him saying...
And he was! He perservance was remarkable!

Wheeza's last battle started about a month ago with chronic respitory problems and finally, last week, an icky hematoma (as you may already know by my post in ER).
He left me on Friday, March 28th.

To my Mr. Wheeza Whizzle:
You were my crazy boy with nine lives! I loved to watch you during playtime, because you had the longest legs I ever saw on a rat. It looked like you were on stilts! lol
You had real depth to your personality- for real! You were a layered, complicated rattie.
I am taking good care of your brother, Ennis. But I can tell him misses you terribly. He will be getting some young cagemates soon.
I can imagine you looking down on him & giggling as he gets trampled by 2 hyper rat babies.
Please tell Benecio I said "Hi, Bubba! I love you!" and dont let him bully you too much in the afterlife ;)

This is how I will always remember your beautiful face, my sweet boy:
whizzle.jpg

Back