R.i.p. Akiva.

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shadowpaws

I wish I could have done more. He didn't deserve to suffer or to go so early in his life. 5 months isn't enough time to live and enjoy. He was my popcorning freak. The little monkey that never stopped climbing and laughing. Although he didn't like being held, and we'd had our fair share of disputes in the time we had been together, he was a beautiful and friendly rat. Play hard at the bridge, little one. I'll protect your brother for you. And don't hoard your veggies- They go bad!

IMG_6676.jpg

He used to boggle his little brains out for grapes.

IMG_6694.jpg

Blueberry blocks? No way mom!

IMG_6466.jpg

He LOVED to stand up. He was the funniest little thing.

IMG_6395.jpg

He's going out with a bang- His sweet junk spots. :lol2:

I am so very sorry.
Akiva :heart: sounds like a wonderful little boy.
Thanks for sharing your pics and memories of Akiva :heart: with us.
Hope you and his brother can comfort oneanother.

Thanks guys, it's really hard seeing his favorite spot in the cage empty. His brother and Nubs are being very sluggish today. They can feel his presence is missing. Cuddles to both of them for you guys.

Shelagh, the vet I saw thought it might have been something liver related. His stomach was tender to touch, and she said he was looking a little yellowish.

Oh I remember that 'junk spots' picture! How could you not? That's the cutest 'boy' picture I ever saw.
But Akiva was so cute from the traditional angle too.
I always choose a song for each of my kids to be 'our song'. Might I suggest Joni Mitchell's 'Both Sides Now' for you & Akiva?
OMusic1.gif
I've looked at love from both sides now
OMusic1.gif

(not being flippant hon, just think it memorializes one of Akiva's special qualities, and his ability to make you smile)

So sorry, Shadowpaws.....5 months is way too young.....Count yourself as blessed for being his friend, even for such a brief time, and let your other babies bring you comfort.

I'm so sorry Shadowpaws. :tearful:

What a beautiful boy he is (I say "is" because he continues on and is now breaking all the female hearts at the bridge... :wink:)

I know the pain of losing a baby at a young age. Jerry was 6 months old when he died. I still suffer over my little man but it makes me feel better to share his memory with Ben while I am stroking him. Ben and Jerry were brothers but Jerry was always the weaker of the two.

The painful reality is that we do not control fate. By our standards, anything under a year is too young to die. My Grandmother said that humans tend to forget that God would not have taken the sweeties from us if they had not been needed upstairs for bigger and better things. :hugs: Grandma :hugs:

Nevertheless, it is extremely painful to have to let go.

Rest assured that you were a wonderful mother and Akiva loved you.

After your selfless act of rehoming Goli to Shelagh... you are nothing less than a fabulous rat mom with a heart of gold.

Akiva's little suitcase must have been heavier than anything with all you gave him to take along for his trip.

Never doubt yourself or all that you have done for your babies' well being.

If you do doubt yourself.... post it here and we will set things straight.

Quantity of life does not outshine quality of life, Shadowpaws. You are allowed to grieve over your little man. I grieved over mine; and still do.

Just remember the quality of life they have with you. That is what matters most. :love6: :hugs: :heart: :rose:

Back