Questions about pet store rats and intros.

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kolkri

So if I get two male rats from the pet store they well be older and un tame rats. (looking again for a breeder but last time that took a couple years.) Can I still introduce them to Frodo? Well he stay tame? How long would I need to qt the new boys? Are the odds better if I get two that they well allow Frodo to be their friend or should I just get one?
Any help before I go see what is available would be great.
Oh and how long will it be ok for Frodo to stay alone?

You will have to QT a pet store rat and I mean it in every meaning of the word. Some are really ill. You can do intros but I would wait a few weeks after you get them males can be a bit testy so it is a good idea to let them adjust

Ok I found a breeder of "feeder rats". He has several young dumbo I can choice from. I well go see him Tuesday. I know I well still need to QT them for a month but I can get much younger rats. Would that be a better idea? I was reading the chances that Frodo well accept them is better if they are younger rats. The pet shops here don't even know what the age is and they are full grown so I know they are at least 6 months or more.
The first pair I ever bought were "feeder rats" and one of them lived to be 5 years old. So I know they can be great pets. And I am not breeding or showing so I feel like I would be rescuing them.

I would get 2 babies but make sure they are at least 2 months before doing intros to Frodo. How old is Frodo?

Wow 5 years is really old for a rat!

Ya i get two 2month or 3month old babies personally, my new boys are all a month to 2 months younger then my gizmo when I first got them, intros went alot smoother that way on my end, but all rats are different. And 5yrs??!!! Well taht beats my first rat lol. My first boy lived for 4yrs :)

Back