Question on Yeast Infection

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dewi

It looks like my rat Ginger may have a yeast infection (thrush) in the shaft of his penis. Ginger has bad hind leg paralysis and often gets wet around that area. We wash him and gently blow dry the area once daily but it looks like he's developed thrush in spite of our efforts.

I can't find any info on yeast infections in rats. Just wondering if anyone knows of any anti-fungals that can work. I'll be talking to the vet about this so would like to be prepared for when I speak to her.

The poor boy, it's really hard getting old. He must be uncomfortable, but he's not ill enough to be PTS. It's just normal old age. Reminds me of the elderly people I see in hospital.

What are the symptoms? I've never had a rat with thrush before, I'll be very interested in what course of action your vet will suggest.

Oh well there's clumpy pale looking stuff at the end of the shaft. It's either thrush or tissue/ hair breaking down because the area is often damp. I'll take Ginger to the vet again in a few days or so. I only went yesterday and wish I'd said something about it then.

I don't think so. We do clean his willy everyday and look for plugs. With your old male rats, how long does the gunk take to build up?

would it help to give him some yogurt? I know that yogurt helps humans with yeast :D I'd try some natural unsweetened yogurt and if he won't eat it, try stirring in some sugar free all fruit jam :) poor boy, such an indignity for an old boy with his bits being the topic of conversations :lol:

The vet may be able to do a swab and have a culture done if s/he suspects yeast. There are systemic medications for humans (e.g. Griesofulvin or something like that) which might be adaptable to rats (they'd just lick off a topical medication). Usually yeast infections mean a breakdown in the immune system, and people with diabetes can be prone to yeast infections, so your vet may investigate along those lines too.

Do they treat diabetes in rats? You never really hear about it. It could also be his skin breaking down because of the dampness. Ginger in going in for his weekly mouth clean next week and I'll talk about the yeast infection then. I feel it can wait and I don't want to stress him out with the car travel.

The yoghurt is a good idea and I can add some good bacteria to his food.

You know with his age and infected mouth (I posted separately about a possible tooth abscess) I wouldn't be surprised if his immune system is suppressed a little.

Thanks guys for your input. It's much appreciated.

Poor Ginger...he is having a hard time. Give him some kisses from me. He is so lucky to have someone to give him such great care in his golden years.

Will do Dahlas. I shower him with kisses all the time. Caring for Ginger, my first pet to reach a very old age is really teaching me something about looking after the elderly. I often think about how tough it must be for people in nursing homes.

Back