Question from another Forum

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adrienne

Hey guys i am on another Forum about chihuahuas and a Girl on their has 4 rats anyways she has some moving questions. here is her post i asked her permission to post it..
thanks

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So as some of you may know, me and my bf have 4 rats.
When we first got them we thought they were all boys.
Well to make a long story short, we realized a few weeks ago that one of them is a girl.
So we quickly seperated them and the boys have been happily living together in their own cage and the girl has been living in her own and we were planning on getting her a little girl friend after our move to Sacramento.
We are supposed to be leaving in about 3-4 hours for our trip, a 8 hour car drive to Sac.
I have already been stressing about keeping the rats comfy while in the car and I have just looked in on the girl and she has 4 little pink babies!!
What can we do? Will she eat them if we just put her whole cage in the backseat?
We cant wait a few days to leave because my bf starts work Monday and we told the lady we were renting our place from that we would be out by this evening..Advice please? Shes being an awesome momma but will the car ride scare her and cause her to eat them? Thats the last thing we want..we are kinda already attached to these little ones

See if you can get her to eat and drink in the next few hours and then cover the cage with a towel and take her. There's really no other choice. Rats have given birth during car rides before and hopefully it will be okay. Make sure to put blankets under the cage as extra cushioning for bumps and keep it quiet for the little momma on the trip. Good luck!

I've heard of few people having to move with mom and babies and not had a problem. Didn't that happen with SQ? mom gave birth in the car?

I got Piper with only week old bubs, and they had to spend the day, a WHOLE day in the car, in the winter too. and all survived. I just made sure we had proper nesting to keep bubs warm, and food, and water for mum

Back