Question about the boys' neuter...

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pomegranate seed

Well, I'm trying not to be nervous about it, but Griffin and Bodhi's neuter day is finally here. I'm going in tomorrow morning with them and I'll be staying the whole time, even though I can't bring myself to watch the actual surgery. I read somewhere that it is a good idea to give them food after they've waken up from the anesthetic. Is this a good idea? I'm going to bring a baggie of goodies with me if so. Wish my boys good luck. Thanks everyone!

Good luck to your boys! I'm pretty anxious too about PooPoo even though it's just gonna be this summer :panic:

And yeah I would imagine them eating when they wake is good since they are gonna need strength to recover.

Well, I am home with the boys, and they were fantastic! I am so so so happy that there were no problems at all. I was expecting the surgery to take a lot longer than it did, and they woke up so quickly too. They're acting like nothing happened at all! I've got them in the hospital cage with lots of fleece and they've had a bunch of goodies today. Keeping them warm and happy. I feel like I was doing all that worrying for nothing. :happydance:

Ok, so I'm probably just being paranoid, but I'm hoping for some opinions here. The boys are healing really well, but when I feel their sacks, there still seems to be something in there. Nothing like before the surgery, but isn't the sack supposed to feel empty? At first I thought it was just swelling, but I'm nervous now. Is there a possibility the vet left the fat pad in or something and that's what I'm feeling? It's only been 3 days since the surgery. Thanks for any thoughts guys.

Glad to hear that they are recovering well. There are some threads with after-neuter photos, so that you can compare your rats. I would imagine that there would be some swelling at the surgical site for a while, although I never took a close look at my boys afterwards.

Back