Question about Habitat after SURGERY

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jujubeespmud

Branwen and Jazzie are having surgery tomorow for mammary tumors. I wanted get everyone's opinion on their cage after surgery. I have the Martin's 695 (3 levels). Should I section off the top 2 levels and use just that for the girls during recovery? Or should I just do as I norally do? Also, I would think it is best to use fleece material on the bottom of the cage as opposed to bedding, since that can get stuck to the operated areas. Please let me know what you think.

thanks.

I normally put them in their regular cage with fleece on the bottom until the incision heals. That first night they are pretty quiet and will sleep a bit from the effects of the anesthesia and a long day that tuckered them right out :lol:

The 2nd day they will be much better, and will be climbing around as usual. You will find on the 2nd day that the incision has opened up and looks nowhere as nice as when you brought them home. This is normal. Once they start moving around like normal, the incision gets stretched with regular movement.

Are you going home with antibiotics and pain meds?

Good luck to the little girls!!!! :hugs:

Yep, just like what lilspaz wrote...that's what I do. Unless they are usually with a big colony, then I'll keep them alone to recuperate for a day before joining their buddies.

Thanks guys!! I just talked with the vet..I posted something under Health, so you'll see it there. But my vet called and said they're fine. Branwen's tumor was bit more extensive, but she'll be ok, Jazzie had a more normal mammary tumor and wasn't as difficult. I get to pick them up after 4 today. I asked the vet about the bedding and told him I was using the Kay-tee brand "Soft Sorb". I asked about switching to the fleece for couple days and he said it wasn't really necessary. I'm planning on showing him what the stuff looks like and maybe he may tell me to use the fleece. I think I've heard it's best to use cloth too ...especially after surgery. I also asked about sectioning off a couple of the levels since I have 3 levels w/ramps in the Martin's 695. He said to keep them on one level for a couple days. Ok to put my other girlie in with them though..said best not to separate.
More later..

You know you've got a good vet when they don't say to separate. You have to do whatever will be less stress on the rats.
My vet always recommends fleece or newspaper after surgery.

Thanks! :joy: That's great to hear that about my vet! I too know that the best thing is to not separate them. And as far as the bedding, since I moved them to the top half of the cage, I just put some fleece down over top of the plastic needlepoint that I use so it's more comfy. I have to take the girls back in 2 wks for stiches removal and check up. I'll let you know how they do.
Julie

Also sending healing vibes! I'm so glad the surgery went well. :D

Like already said, newspaper and keeping them as quiet as possible is best when there are stitches involved. It's amazing how many people disregard that.

I will mention this though. I will make you a bet those stitches are gone by 2 weeks. I always had staples, etc removed at 5-7 days because rats heal so incredibly fast, and with regular non-dissolving stitches they often pull them out themselves.

Glad to hear they are doing well :)

Back