quarenteen

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mamie

can someone describ quarenteen to me. I know what it means but to what extent do you go with your ratties. I have Curious in another room from my boys. Now when i want to play with him, let him have time out of his cage does it have to be in that room? My boys are in the living room, the living room and dinning room/kitchen are open concept.

To do a proper quarantine the other rat should be in a totally different airspace (usually a different house altogether) and you should be changing your clothes, showering and cleaning under your nails when going between the 2 rats to avoid carrying illnesses between the 2. That is what I consider proper quaratine (if I'm missing anything someone please add).

Most people can't do full quarantine so the next best thing is a separate bedroom. Yes, Curious should remain in that bedroom for his out time for now.

smilez_n_hugs said:
To do a proper quarantine the other rat should be in a totally different airspace (usually a different house altogether) and you should be changing your clothes, showering and cleaning under your nails when going between the 2 rats to avoid carrying illnesses between the 2. That is what I consider proper quaratine (if I'm missing anything someone please add).

and cleaning out your nose.
Diseases can live in your nose forever.

It is also important to clean out your nose and take other precautions if you are around other rats or visit a pet store.

SQ said:
smilez_n_hugs said:

and cleaning out your nose.
Diseases can live in your nose forever.

It is also important to clean out your nose and take other precautions if you are around other rats or visit a pet store.

:doh: right I knew that one too lol

Nasty, that is just nasty. Thank goodness you didn't post a "step by step" in cleaning out your nose. :shock:

Maple said:
Nasty, that is just nasty. Thank goodness you didn't post a "step by step" in cleaning out your nose. :shock:

Some people say blowing your nose is enough.
When I quarantined new rescues at a separate house, I showered, changed, cleaned out my nose with rubbing alcohol and waited two hours at a neutral place before returning to my apartment. This was done at least once a day. It was quite the operation.
It was exhausting to do that for a min. of 4 weeks.

Most ratty viruses can live in our nasal cavity up to 3 hours. After that they are dead.

Most people do the wait 3-4 hours before being near your own rats again, OR the strip down, shower first, blow nose after shower, and change into new clothes before going near your own rats.

its best to handle the new rat AFTER your own rats so you can do the waiting period overnight.

Back