Quarantine is over... first intro session

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KristyR

Brie's three weeks of quarantine are over!!! Yay!!! So I moved her cage in by the big girls' cage, and let them sniff at each other for awhile, then opened the doors of both cages, and let them all run around for a bit. Brie explored the big cage, while all six of the other girls ran into the quarantine cage, looking around, looking like they were thinking "I love what you've done with the place. It wasn't this nice when it was MY cage!" Then they took bits of her food and ran back and stashed them in their cage, even though they have the same food in there already!

After about ten minutes, they actually noticed Brie. Most of them just sniffed her and moved on with exploring. Skittles wrestled with her a bit, and did a little power grooming. Then Emma wrestled her briefly and moved on. Then Skittles did some more power grooming, and well, humped her. :shock: Then Brie went into her little house, so I figured she'd had enough for the first time, so I got all the other girls back in their cage.

Over all, it went very well. My girls have always handled intros very well.

Phew, you got lucky there. Many times, allowing a rat into a cage that has not been scrubbed down to remove all the smells could have been chaos.

Sounds like you've got some good girls there. ;)
The move will go smoothly indeed. :)

jorats said:
Phew, you got lucky there. Many times, allowing a rat into a cage that has not been scrubbed down to remove all the smells could have been chaos.

Sounds like you've got some good girls there. ;)
The move will go smoothly indeed. :)

Yeah, I usually do intros in a totally neutral territory, and scrub down the cage that they are going to be living in and change out all the toys and ramps and everything. But these girls have all been so laid back with intros, and so not territorial that I thought I'd try it this way.

My boys, on the other hand, are such a tight-knit group, I could probably never get them to accept another rat into their colony. There are a few of them I could probably remove from this colony who would get along great with others, but they are just so happy and squishy like they are.

Back