Putting babies into a FN

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

virgo2882

Hello,
I just got 4 new 5 week old babies the day before Christmas Eve, so they are just 2 months old now, and getting bigger.
I have a 3 level FN cage waiting for them! but they were tooooo small to go in the FN when I got them, they seem like in a week or 2 they may be big enough to not be able to squeeze through the bars... but I am not sure
Has anyone had this problem?? Can ya let me know how long maybe you waited or if you put them in and at what age they escaped?
They are in a smaller cage now waiting to get bigger, and i just want them to grow so they can go have fun in their mansion and me not worry about finding them on the floor! =)
Thanksss

Ferret Nations are definitely not for babies. Some males are able to live in an FN at 3 months maybe more if they are on the small side. As for females, some may be able to escape all their lives.

That's really the only thing I dislike about my FN.

Thanks!
I had 2 female rats in it before they passed away, so I know once they are bigger they can def live in, I got my other 2 when they were adults so I did not have to worry.
I just have no clue when they will realllly really be ready to go into it withouth me having to worry.
I guess ill just have to try and see....and wait
Although the mesh idea isnt a bad one.... where did you get the mesh at?

This is the best picture I have up close. I just cut it to fit just inside the frame of the cage over the bars and zip tied them to it.

DSC01709.jpg

DSC01698.jpg

thanks!
That looks great!
I just called the hardware store and they have 2ft for $1.10 and 3 ft for $1.60.
Did you still have your measurements, if you remember them for when you cut your fabric?
If not I obviously can measure my own cage when i get the chance
Thanks again

I really do not remember the measurements at all. Sorry. But make sure it is the wire hardware mesh that is coated with the green pvc plastic. Because they have just plastic hardware mesh and the rats will chew right through it.

The good thing about putting the mesh on is that you never have to worry about babies or small girls escaping. :wink: That's why I did it. I was to impatient to wait on the babies to grow. :lol:

I know! Thats the only reason I will get the mesh it because I just want them into their big cage!
They are waiting in a 20 gal tank now, they will be sooo shocked to see where they are going!
thanks again!

Lucky ladies indeed!

And you lucky Americans with your coated hardware cloth. So Jealous.

Jo, I know you said before, but can I ask how much the panels from Martin's cost you?

moon said:
Lucky ladies indeed!

And you lucky Americans with your coated hardware cloth. So Jealous.

Jo, I know you said before, but can I ask how much the panels from Martin's cost you?
and how you went about ordering? measurments and whatnot as well?

If I remember correctly, it cost me $180.
I measured all the sides, top and bottom and wrote to Diane Martin and told her what I wanted so something like 4 panels of a x b and 5 panels of c x d. I can't remember all the measurements though. In fact, I never took the panels out of the box yet cause I have no babies yet... maybe I should take them out and try them out, make sure they will fit perfectly. If I do, I'll take pics.

Back