Purina Rat Chow & Lab Diet. The same?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MumsyRat

So, I got a 50 pound bag of Purina Rat Chow for Christmas. (What can I say, my family has accepted my particular brand of insanity. :giggle: ) I have no clue where it came from and haven't asked. Don't want to look a gift horse in the mouth, ya know?

It lists corn meal, soy meal and fish meal as the first 3 ingredients. Protein is 22%. When I googled it I really couldn't find any info on it but I think it may be the same product as Lab Diet. (The same way that Native Earth is really Harlan Teklad.) Any one know if that's a correct assumption?

Is anyone using this food? Any thoughts on the quality of this product? Should I use it or not? :think:

I am going to guess someone got it at Ren's? They keep the Mazuri 6F and the LabDiet 5001 in stock at all times.

My guess is that you have Lab Diet 5001, which I also got as a present once. :giggle:
Its higher in protein but other than that its not too bad. If you use the bag up then I wouldn't worry, but I wouldn't continue to feed it on a regular basis from now on, because of that high protein.

http://www.labdiet.com/pdf/5001.pdf

I have about 5 pounds of 2014 and maybe 10 pounds of 2018 left. Maybe I should just mix the whole works together and make a rat chow casserole?

I would mix it all together, as you've said. You're not planning on using it long term so I'd think your kids would be fine.

There are feed stores around here that sell the Purina Rat Chow. It's pretty high in protein, but pretty cheap. I was thinking about mixing the Harlan with it. Keep it going longer. Know what I mean?

I used to feed the labdiet and I wasn't happy with it. But I'd go ahead and mix it with what you have left.
Labdiet is Purina Rat Chow. Purina makes Mazuri.

Back