PT in a male?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lj

I know that PT is predominantly a female thing, but can males get it? I have one guy who is lying on his side and not using his front paws at all. His right eye seems to bulge out from time to time....Just curious if this could be his problem..

Are his toes curling and is he unable to hold things with his front paws?
Does he show any other signs of pt? (see above link)
There are other things it could be .... depending upon his symptoms.

His symptoms:

He is lying on his side, not moving very much. If he does move, he sort of flops around in a circle. He will not take anything with his front paws. They are balled up. His right eye seems to be protruding as well on occasion.

They are all symptoms of PT. I have Pred here. I will give him some.

Steroids such as pred will lower his immune system.
If you give pred (dose is 0.25 to 1 mg/ 454.4 grams of rat) you must also give antibiotics.

Has he been eating and drinking?
Is he dehydrated?
Is it possible that he is having seizers or has had a stroke?
Very sorry that this is happening.

Could be a super list of a ton of things. He has been eating, not sure about drinking.

He definately could be having seizures. Poor guy. Have to get him to the vet tomorrow if possible.

It sounds like a stroke to me :( Pred and abs fast. He may recover and be alright from now on, or he may have another one, and possibly one will take him from you...you just don't know with stroke.

And yes males do get PT, not quite as often as females but they do get it :(

Back