Problem - spazzy and aggression?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

panic xx

Ugh, this is so frustrating. I've had my two boys for a couple weeks now and they seem to be doing fine. Moose just nipped me once but Elk has nipped me numerous times and has also nipped my dad and my dog ;_; I just don't know what to do, I only let them out twice since I've had them. Don't get me wrong, i hate to see them cooped up, but whenever I even put my hand in the cage Elk charges and tried to nip me. And when I do let them out, I'm afraid they'll scurry away and never come back. You see, I have an Australian Shepherd mix and a cat that would love to snack on them and that's what I'm afraid of. Elk and Moose run so fast I'm afraid I might not catch them. Anyway, I just need some advice on what to do about it ..

Well first, if they're not yet settled in comfy and feeling safe in their new world they're very likely to bite if your fingers invade the space they feel safest - their cage. I'd avoid putting my fingers in it til we're good with each other.

I sure understand not wanting to have them out if you're afraid of them biting you or running off and disappearing. But they need the time with you to get ok, just do it in a closed room that you can keep closed away from your dog & cat til they are found if they should disappear, maybe the bathroom at first if you're really worried? And you could wear gloves if you're nervous of getting bit.
It seems that letting them inside your shirt is a great ice-breaker from what I've heard in posts, I've never done it cause of allergies but it might be worth a try (tho I'd sure put some protection between them & my nipples - (2 of my never-bit-me girls nipped my friends nipples when she let them down her shirt).

If they're nervous they will sense your nervousness too. If you protect yourself best you can and have them out where they will be safe then you'll all feel a little less stressed starting out, I'm sure. I sure wish you luck, I know you can bring them round, just remember that they're counting on you to show them it's safe, you can't count on them to do it first. Treats are a help too.

Hi Panic, it's not fun when you have nipping rats.
How old are the boys?
They might be very scared and their cage is their only "safe" place and get worried when your hand are trying to take them away from their safe place.
Have you tried putting them on your bed, opening the cage door and let them come out on their own? Let them come see you and get to know you?

I'm not sure how old they are
cause i got them at a pet store ._.
Well I have a futon [ or couch] instead of a bed xD
but i could try making a playpen and set the cage in it or something
oh, this morning Elk came out. I tried the glove suggestion and it worked, yet they still bit it lol
when Elk came out, he only nipped me once then crawled in my shirt
and Moose looks like he's almost afraid to come out.

Is it nippy like they are frightened or nippy like puppies nip and mouth at you?
My babies nip and lick all over my hands and fingers in a playful manner...If it is playful that is one thing...
if they are frightened I would offer them goodies from my fingers or from a spoon at first....then I would coax them out and get them snuggled inside my shirt or pocket and keep them with me as much as possible. If you are worried about your dog and cat I would put them in another room for an hour while you cuddle and spend time with the little ones......

i think their about five months ..
and it's more like a pinching .. it doesn't really hurt but it catches me off guard.
and Elk is doing it less now, which is good and i take them out more often =D
but I'm having trouble taking Moose out, it seems like he's afraid of going out of his cage. but Elk butting in the way when I open the cage doesn't help either ..
xD

its pretty common for petstore rats :/
Of course i dunno about the USA, but in Belgium they dont get much attention seeing its for the money -.-

try to make ur room ratsafe! :3
Hide the cabels, check for holes or places they can crawl behind to make it harder.

I used to learn my old rat to listen to the candybox!
So everytime I gave a candy, I shook the box.

Eventually it wuld come out of its secret places in my room when i shook it ;3
That might work!

Else, try make a 'wall' (cardboard walls or something) and let them run around there :3

Back