pregnancy

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ewa

I was wondering how you can tell if a rat is pregnant . My brother got a rat and its tummy looks a little big and extended and it is a little hard. How can you tell if a rat is pregnant during the early stages?

Typical duration of gestation is 21-23 days.

Often you can't tell 100% for sure until the last few days. But typically there is a significant difference in belly size, they start seriously nesting, and sometimes you see a difference in behavior.... a typically friendly rat can become very nippy in the last few days especially.

The best way to tell is to weigh the rat at the same time every day with an accurate digital scale, like a kitchen or postal scale that can weigh in grams.

Its very hard to tell if a female is pregnant until a few days before. Some get a bit nippy, and start nesting.

The gestation of a rat is 21 days.

If you see signs of her being in heat (wiggling her ears, arching her back &/or freezing in position &/or vibrating when you pet her lower back), then she is not pregnant.
Not all rats show signs of being in heat so if you don't see any signs it does not mean she is pregnant.

Sometimes a growing rat who suddenly gains a bit of weight can have more noticeable nipples, so that can be deceiving.

But, a pregnant female WILL start grooming the hair away from her nipples. That's a big tip off.

I also thought when one of my rats nipples appeared to be more noticable than before, and was worried about her being pregnant.
Turned out she just put on a little weight. :giggle:

Tarah said:
I also thought when one of my rats nipples appeared to be more noticable than before, and was worried about her being pregnant.
Turned out she just put on a little weight. :giggle:

haha! yeah , i was so surprised when Sophee put on weight , but luckily she did it pretty evenly throughout her body so i knew she wasn't pregnant. And now that I have seen 2 pregnancy rats , i think i can pretty much tell when a rat is pregnant . NEVER AGAIN! :lol:

Back