Power Grooming

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll have to see whether I can get a video demo from my crew later this week! Unless someone else here already has one... or two... or three.

When a rat is asserting dominance over another, it will pin the other rat down (sometimes flipping the victim on his/her back) and groom it. This goes on until the pinned rat has stayed submissive (still) for a 'reasonable' amount of time. The dominant rat will sometimes groom really hard, making the submissive one squeak.

the submissive one usually goes very still. Of course, not all pinned rats go along with this game. Sometimes the flippee turns the tables by flipping the one who is trying to be dominant.

An endless supply of entertainment!

LA said:
Ok I have to ask what is power grooming?

Godmother is right on the ball with her explanation! My guys crack me up because they take turns power grooming each other! Ben is an alpha male but he has been neutered. Basil is, I believe, a semi-alpha male who has yet to be neutered.

It depends on their moods but most of the time they are just not willing to take any crap from each other long term. They are playful about it but with those two rusty butt boys... the playfulness of the situation always seems to push the limits. (I think they both understand that mama-rat will not tolerate infliction of any injuries so they mind their p's and q's. ;)!)

I find it quite cute and funny when the power groomer keeps a paw on the submissive ones's face or chest once he is perfectly still, and then holds him there while he (the power groomer) gives himself a groom.

Young rats power groom each other loads and baby rats do it just about constantly... It's already been described above, but I just thought I'd add to it :D

You've got regular grooming where the groomer will go nyamnayamnyumnyumnyum in corn-on-the-cob-eating lines along the groomee and grab fistfuls of fur and she works her way along.
And power grooming, is where they groom normally, but with that extra frenzy and bounce, they often flick their heads as they go stupid with bursts of energy and excitement and FRENZIED "ARGHHH GROOOOMMM WHEEEE GROOOOOOMMMMMMM", and more than not cause the groomee to flip and power groom back... hence rolly pingpongy baby rats being so hilarious!!

If I can get the lighting right, I can definitely get you a video. My Grey power grooms Penn every chance she gets.

starfoot said:
Young rats power groom each other loads and baby rats do it just about constantly... It's already been described above, but I just thought I'd add to it :D

You've got regular grooming where the groomer will go nyamnayamnyumnyumnyum in corn-on-the-cob-eating lines along the groomee and grab fistfuls of fur and she works her way along.
And power grooming, is where they groom normally, but with that extra frenzy and bounce, they often flick their heads as they go stupid with bursts of energy and excitement and FRENZIED "ARGHHH GROOOOMMM WHEEEE GROOOOOOMMMMMMM", and more than not cause the groomee to flip and power groom back... hence rolly pingpongy baby rats being so hilarious!!
That was awesome.

Back