Posting for a friend

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SQ

Senior Member - Vegan for the animals
This morning one year old neutered boy kept licking his penis area and squeaking. She thought perhaps it was an infamous penis plug but nothing came out and while she was squeezing, it look black inside and she thought she felt a small bump - also the poor fellow squealed his lungs out!

Any ideas?
Told her to take him to the vet but our vets are not exotics and do the best they can but may not know what it is either.
Vet visit probably not going to happen today as she was on her way to work when she emailed me so will not get my response until late tonight.

Squeezing?? Did she roll the skin around the penis down?

The bump she feels could be a deep plug.

First he needs someone to do a proper check if she hasn't already, and if not he needs to go to a vet.

Can she put him on white paper towel to see if he's peeing? Is there a smell there?

If there's a plug, you can smell it. There's a foul odour from the penis. If there's no odour, then I would think it's something else, maybe an infection. A vet visit is her best bet at this point.

Just got in and found this email:
==============================================

I just got home and he is acting quite normal - very alert, responding to his name, taking treats from my hand, is playful, and doesn't appear to be in pain. But, as soon as I touched his groin area he squealed AND this time, white pus oozed out. It didn't have any smell to it, nevertheless, it was pretty gross. Now, the lump appears smaller but he still doesn't want me touching the area. I do have a vet appointment tomorrow morning at 8AM.

No smell... mmm, weird, even an infection would have a smell. Hopefully the vet will have an idea, at least put him on meds in case of infection. Keep us posted!

Poor boy :( I hope she can get figured out what is wrong before it causes any serious damage and i hope that I never have to figure something like that out with my guys :shock: i don't know much about this kind of thing but is there any way it could have been an abcess? it's probably the wrong area but maybe instead of coming to the surface and breaking, it instead burst into the penile area and the pus is coming out the penis? just a thought :)

The rattie did go to the vet this morning.
The vet did notice a bad smell.
He stayed at the vets for observation, to pee, and the vet is going to consult with an exotic vet ... probably yours, jorats.

Hopefully the little boy will be feeling better soon.

Back