possibly pregnent

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lindsayfawn

Well Ang and I had a weak moment. We went to the pet store just to kill some time before she went to work and of course we had to go look at the rats. I'm a sucker for punishment I guess. I hate going to the pet store and seeing the conditions they're in. There was only one tank of baby rats and when I looked in I wasn't surprised to see boys and girls mixed together. I opened the glass and separated them and found two girls in with 8 boys. One of the workers came over to see what I was doing and I asked her why they were mixed together? She said they were fine together till they were at least 8 weeks old. I was like um no your wrong they can reproduce at 5 weeks. I was so annoyed. I told her we were taking these two girls and I wasn't paying full price so they charged us the feeder price.
So we took these two little girls home. They're hooded girls one is black hooded , her name is Sun, and the other is a gray hooded and we named her Charlotte. They were quite happy to leave that place giving us lots of kisses and even bruxing as we drove them to their new home.
I knew there was a very strong possibility that they could be pregnant but I figured they were better off with us then at the pet store. Anyways Charlotte's tummy looks to be getting a little bigger, especially compared to her sister. It'll be about 21 days this Friday. I'll see if I can get pictures for you all to judge.
These babies are quite young I would say 6-7 weeks at the most. I'm just worried about her because she's so tiny, is it dangerous for them to have babies at this young age? Also should they be separated before she gives,birth (if she's pregnant) or would they be fine together where they're both so young?
I'm going to try and get this camera working so I can take some pictures then post them later.

If they are 7-8 weeks now, and you say its coming up on 21 days since you brought them home? Not likely to be pregnant since you got them at 4-5 weeks old then?, you probably have that regular baby belly that is confusing you. When they are 6-7 weeks and still with boys is when you start to worry about Baby Bellies.

Hopefully you're right lol 'cause I don't really want babies but if it happens it happens. Charlotte just seems to be developing a little different then sun. Keeping our fingers crossed it isn't babies.

Well I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they're not pregnant. Not long to find out though, keep us posted!

Well I haven't posted pictures yet because the digital camera is crap, can't get it to work. But to me it looks like Charlotte is getting fatter quite fast.
I'm wondering if I should separate her from her sister just in case? Or would they be fine together? Also should she not be handled as much if she is pregnant?

I sincerely hope that she is not pregnant.
However, if she is, I sincerely hope that you are planning to keep and care for all of the babies for the remainder of their lives.
There are an overwhelming number of rats in NB and NS in desperate need of good homes, and few if any good homes available.

I have to say I agree with SQ..There certainly are lots of homeless rats and no homes to be found. You may end up having to keep all these babies....I hope that is something you are prepared for..... ..But of course it was wonderful of you guys to get her out of that situation......If I hear of anyone looking for a couple of babies I will let you know......
If she is pregnant lets pray for a small litter...of healthy babies.

I know there are a lot of rats out there that needs homes and we were looking at adopting more before we got these two. I just didn't feel right leaving them in that tank full of boys and have even more babies running around NB. And Yes we would be keeping all the babies, they're our responsibility I'm not about to put them to the curb.

lindsayfawn said:
I'm not about to put them to the curb
Hope it didn't sound like I thought you would not be responsible for the babies........ I didn't doubt that for a minute......I just wish there were more rattie lovers and less ratties looking for homes...I think it was wonderful that you rescued her and her sister.
I can't wait to see pictures.

Congrats on your decision to keep them all.
I kept all of Laurel's babies and don't regret it.
Much much easier then trying to find good homes and hoping they will be ok.

I know this is a little late but.. :?
I'd say keep the girls together as i have,
The other girls take care of the the babies I know this from experience,
some pet shops even say the boys will look after them but i don't count on that.

K hope that helps :)

Thankfully she was Not pregnant it's way past the time now...she looked and felt like it though, but it must have been the baby belly...I'm glad she's not having babies, things are stressful enough with 2 sick rats

:joy: :joy: Yay! thats a load off eh?

Not that you guys wouldn't have made good mommies...but its always a releif when babies dont have babies

Back