possible pregnant rat? :|

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheyenneobvious

i have some questions about rat pregnancy..
when my fiance was holding our one adopted rat last night i noticed she looks like she is about to pop.
im hoping she is just a fatty, but i really want your guys opinions before i jump to conclusions.

here are some pictures of her belly from the front; she is squirmy so it isnt that good, sorry :(

100_0507.jpg

how long do rats stay pregnant?
i dont think its possible for her to be pregnant right now, but her belly makes me question it :/

she is 13.8OZ/ 390G

she came from some really sketchy people on kajiji
they told us not to breed her and i was like of course not i dont breed rats at the time but now im thinking its because shes already bread?

we have had her for about a month i think? with all of this going on im having a hard time thinking when we got her :|

28 days plus is the length of time between mating and birth for a post-partum pregnancy (female goes in heat right after birth). But they usually have a litter...you would've noticed the nipples on a girl who just had her pups taken from her as eepers (snake food usually) but I guess you didn't?

to be honest i really wasnt looking at her nipples and wondering if she already had a littler :/
but thinking back on it they were really noticeable through her white coat, almost a bit bigger
and she has been a bigger size since we got her.. just not THIS big.

no no no thank god.
she is the one i was talking about a couple months ago that was mean and only got along with my fiance
how do you find old posts? that would tell you how long ago we got her

**edit she is only 4 months old i was told when we got her

If she was pregnant right now her nipples would be showing very prominently. Does she scream when you touch her belly? have you felt the shape of her belly? it's hard to tell from the picture. I know when I got the pregnant rescue her belly felt lumpy but not solid. There could be birth complications, it could be a tumor, there are many possibilities. I hope it's not too serious. I wish I could help more :(

* I just clicked the post you had in the reply above^ So you had her a month July 11th? Because if that's the case she probably isn't pregnant. If I understand correctly you have had her almost two months which is way longer than the ratty gestation period. Looking at the photo again she just looks a little pudgy. Do you have any other pictures from a different angle? It's a little hard to gauge the belly size from that photo.

okay, the more time goes on the less i think she is pregnant. i didnt really think she was at first, but her belly looked it.

gummibear - her nipples aren't prominent and she didnt scream today when we took the first picture, she was just really wiggly and didnt want us to touch her belly it seemed.. or she didnt like being on her back/dangling
when i felt her belly last night it is squishy feeling, not hard and i didnt feel anything i would think to be a baby in her belly
also, when i retraced the emails she sent (i save everything lol) it said she was suppose to come june 30th but didnt show up until july 1st and i updated her on the 5th of july to tell her how she was doing. but that still is too long for her to be preggo.

i took some more pictures (to the best of my ability.. she still hates me and loves my fiance) so i have pictures of her in her cage, it probably wont help, but my fiance is at work and will be home in maybe an hour? we can get better pictures then.
till then, here are my attempted ones and one of her side we took earlier

100_0506.jpg

100_0518.jpg

100_0517.jpg

100_0514.jpg

100_0513.jpg

100_0512.jpg

this is where she always is.. she gets nippy if you try and take her out;
100_0508.jpg

100_0510.jpg

100_0511.jpg

i hope these help.. i will get better pictures when my hubby comes back :/

from what everyone came up with in the chat its a food baby.
apparently i need to change her diet so she isnt such a chunky butt :p

thanks guys for all your info, i greatly appreciate it :)

She looks pretty pudgy but I think you lucked out in the pregnancy dept :) If her belly is squishy, odds are she doesn't have a tumor, as well I noticed when my old ratty Butter was pregnant you could almost feel a bunch of squishy bumps in her belly if you touched her with a tiny bit of pressure, her nipples popped out at about 22 days. It looks like you just have a fatty ratty, but I would like to see if anyone else can back me up, just in case :p

On another note, I have had several rats that hated having their belly exposed, like when I would pick them up their bum would curl right up and they'd try and squirm and roll over. Even my boy Oreo hates showing his squishy belly.

I googled pregnant rats and I found this link: http://www.paw-talk.net/forums/f16/sooo ... 51077.html

the pictures give you a little better idea what a baby bump looks like from a similar angle as your pictures.

you know , my brother adopted a rat and two weeks later we found out she was prego. She does look it n the first pic , one way you can tell FOR SURE we found out , feel her belly , push into it a little bit , if she is prego you will feel little movements of the babes .

Back