Possible pregnancy please help

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
into_my_web said:
I'm going to have to. But is there any chance she could be gaining weight because she's storing milk?

No... but she could have lost a lot of weight after the babies were born and is now gaining her normal weight. Is she bigger than usual?

Also, she dosen't seem to pay attention to her pups anymore. She usually takes them from my hand if I put them in front of her but she just walks away now. Is this bad?

That's normal with 2 week old pups, she should be getting lots of breaks from them. As long as you can still see her nursing them a lot.

I havent seen her feed them since early last night. She wont go over with them. She lies down but not next to them.
If she dosen't feed them, I will have to hand feed them wont I?
How long should I wait?

into_my_web said:
I'm going to have to. But is there any chance she could be gaining weight because she's storing milk?

Most likely not. If you let her alone with the male for even a few seconds, then she is probably pregnant.

into_my_web said:
Yes. Most of them opened their eyes yesterday and there is only two who haven't opened their eyes yet.

Mom is probably just feeding them less. She's not going to abandon them before it's safe for them. You can start adding baby cereal in the cage for mom and babies too.
Are you looking for homes for the babies? Make sure to separate the boys from the girls at 5.5 weeks of age.

Sunseed Critter Cubes are not the best lab blocks, but they are very high protein and this is one of the times that you want a very high protein cube. After she is finished lactating she should be moved to one of the other blocks suggested, and your male certainly doesn't need that level of protein.

I'm glad your barn is heated but does it have A/C also? Rats really don't do well in warmer, more humid climates.

There is a very good tutorial in the habitat section of the forum about meshing in cages, and would be much better than a wood lattice type solution.

Back