Porphyrin around eye.

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dahlas

Honey, one of my babies has developed a bit of porphyrin around her left eye.......She doesn't have any sneezes or breathing problems, and seems to be in perfect health. I have been cleaning it off whenever I see it with a bit of warm water...the eye looks fine, not sore looking in anyway.......Anything else I should do for this?

You could try polysporin eye/ear drops for a couple of weeks, in case it's an irritation or a scratch. But I've had rats with a leaky eye where nothing has helped stop it. Currently my Cande has both eyes like this. I've tried the drops and meds and nothing clears her up but she's otherwise quite healthy.

How old is Honey? Have you given her chances to clean it herself, or have you been wiping it off as soon as you see it? Is there any chance she has just been waking up when you notice it?

Honey is 6 months old....and yes I have been letting her have time to wipe it off but she doesn't. It doesn't seem to bother her at all.....most times I don't wipe it off until before bed when I feed them....
I will try the polysporin eye drops and see if that helps...I didn't worry at first but then I thought I should ask incase it was an early warning sign of something more serious.....

My girls generally have porph on their noses and not their eyes, but there are some days where they just don't seem to be in any hurry to groom it off. It can be several hours after they've been up for them to even bother with it. I figure they're entitled to lazy days, just like anyone else. That's why I asked if she was even trying to clean it off.

I've seen several rats that have porphy eyes or noses often, but no illness. No medications were used, and it just resolved itself.

Also... the protein in the porphyrin, if excessive and stays for a long time can start to burn the hair around the eyes thus making it a pinkish naked eye.

Okay I won't worry but I think I will try a bit of polysporin...it can't hurt.
I did think it was funny that her mother or one of her siblings didn't wash it for her but no one seems to notice it but me.....

Back