Poor Laurel...face abscess?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilspaz68

Laurel's cheek started to swell over a week ago, I took her to Dr. Munn's on Sat. Dec 20th but since the baytril was making the swelling go down and Dr Munn found a scab on her cheek we deemed it an abscess and to continue doing what we were doing.

Of course, on Christmas eve her poor face swells up badly :(

Laurel came to me from Moncton, Clark "intro'd" her to Pea and Calla before she left but it sure didn't take. Laurel was/is very timid and abscesses from anything. Pea and Calla would beat her up and she always had horrible abscesses. :( I tried her with several groups until I found Goli's group was the best for her. No more abscesses...yay!
Then her face swelled up last week :(

I will be running my little lady in to Dr Munn's tomorrow morning first thing...I emailed them hoping they get it BEFORE I show up...surprise! :cheeky:

I have been feeding her soft food, but that eye and jaw really really scares me and its worsened since I took those pics. I switched her from metacam to dexamethasone with her baytril for the best anti-inflammatory effect.

Laurenlseye2.jpg

Laurelseye4.jpg

under her jaw :(
Laurelscheek.jpg

I was looking into e-vets just in case, but she is holding on and besides the horrible swelling/protruding eye, is eating, and acting fairly normally. I would prefer she see Dr Munn anyways. :sad3:

Can you give Clavamox a try? If it's not a tooth abscess and not into the bone, it might work for her too. Poor sweetie... those poor rats all seem to plagued with some form of illness. :sad3:

jorats said:
Can you give Clavamox a try? If it's not a tooth abscess and not into the bone, it might work for her too. Poor sweetie... those poor rats all seem to plagued with some form of illness. :sad3:

I am hoping it can be lanced, and/or we can determine if its a tooth issue (x-ray maybe?) and then it will be Clav or Chlorpalm.

Its a crappy Boxing Day for me. Laila and I were sleeping on the couch last night and he has snuck off in the early morning hours and I think she's gone. I am looking for her body now. :sad3:

Laurel's much worse today...I am starting to seriously worry/panic.

It is hard all around her protruding eye and down her jaw and under. The eye is fixed, and she can't seem to close it anymore.
She's not even a year old Dammit!!!

and I cannot take pics of it that show how bad it looks in real life
Laurelseyedec27.jpg

We are leaving in about 10 mins or so. Its raining but that just gives me the excuse of not worrying about my hair or makeup.

Oh god... my Cande had something like that. She had squamous cell carcinoma in her sinuses.
I so hope that's not it, they are in so much pain if it is... :sad3:

Back