Poop guards

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jorats

Loving rats since 2002.
With Christmas coming... I'm the lucky one to be receiving everyone at my place for our Xmas eve Reveillon. Well, I tried talking to the dirty monkeys about staying cleaner but they are determined to throw all their poops out of the cage. I swear, I sweep that floor 10 times a day and still find a dozen poops on the ground. :roll: I certainly can't have that... especially with the mother in law being here.
So going by what lilspaz did, her modification for holding the bedding in, it gave me the idea for poop guards. They've been in place for a few days now and it's doing pretty good. I still get the odd poop but not nearly as much as before. :D

Using coroplast and some zipties:

poopguard_edited-1.jpg

Poopguard1_edited-1.jpg

poopguard2_edited-1.jpg

eta: This in only for the young cage, the other two cages are great at keeping their place clean. :roll:

"But MOM what makes you think we want our stinky poops in here with us, house cleaning is what you said we needed to do." :lol:

The pictures are so cute adn what a great idea. :wink:

Hmmmm. I am in the same boat. None of my ratties are litter box trained and twice a day I am sucking up at least a dozen raisins from the floor! How are the guards holding up with chewing? Are they about 3 inches tall?

They are four inches tall and the rats have not attempted to eat them yet. :wink:

But I'm sure they are just bidding their time, they are big chewers in that cage. :roll:

hmm, i might have to try that, at the side of my FN there's my tv and stand, the stand always has this pee/block dust buildup, and the occasional poop unless i scrub every day, little buggers.

jorats said:
They are four inches tall and the rats have not attempted to eat them yet. :wink:

But I'm sure they are just bidding their time, they are big chewers in that cage. :roll:

They will try eventually but they really only nibble the tops...:) Gotta love coroplast for cheeap :)

Whehehe a poop proof cage lol.
I once had a rat who had the habit when he needed to pee he run to the top of the cage and then pee through the bars on the floor or -if he was on the other side- against the wall. That was the dirtiest guy EVER. :lol:
Thankgod the onces i have now are way better behaved. :p

jorats said:

I was about to say - whoa! They aren't chewed!

I tried doing this for my FN a while back. One night, and they were destroyed. :roll: For now I just have to sweep daily, my puppy likes to eat anything and everything that falls out of the cage , yuck! :sick2:

I have this same problem too. I find rat droppings behind the cage ALL the time. Do they sell cholorplast at home depot or any other hardware store?

This is kind of a off topic question but how long does the fabric lining your cages last before getting smelly? I would like to use fabric in my FN but I am afraid it will get stinky quick.

Back