Pookie - a rescue with the heart of a lion

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

starfoot

I'm not sure why I haven't told this story already....

In august 07 I paid a visit to the RSPCA and picked out an old poorly girlie, a little darkeyed champayne hoodie and renamed her Pookie.

Her hips stuck out like rocky crags, and the RSPCA had been treating her with drops for an eye infection.. This wasn't the case, she just had porphyrin which I instantly knew was a sign of something worse, but hoped it was just stress.

Pookie was brought home and intro'd to Jiggy which went very well aside from some rather rampant grooming poor Pooks had to endure.

Ever since I brought her home, she was very floppy and wobbly and I suspected a stroke due to lack of oxygen as she was also very chesty. I got her on Baytril straight away to ease things a bit, but she must have either had a PT or another stroke... things didn't get better.

She deteriorated fast after only 3 weeks of having her, movement was just about an impossibility and she couldnt hold her head up to even be syringe fed. Heart broken for the poor little darling, I made a PTS appointment for that afternoon.

I took her in and as with all my babies stayed with her 'til the very end.
She was gassed and fell peacefully asleep, but just as the overdose of anaesthetic was to be injected into her chest she sprung awake with the pain... I tearily hugged her, giving her gentle scritches wrapped her in her own little warm blanket and put her back in the gassing box... she stayed there for a long 5 minutes. The injection then went in with no problem. My finger tips feeling her heart and her head against my neck I waited.

10 minutes later, she is still faintly beating. The vet confirmed she had put in enough to knock out a great dane, but Pookie fought on with her huge strong heart. A second injection. Again, enough to knock out a dane for a long while.... and it was over 5 minutes more before i felt the final beat... the vet used her stethoscope, but alas, she was still beating a tiny bit... another 5 minutes and finally that echo of a beat faded away completely. My huge hearted baby had gone.

I've never known a rat with such a strong heart, it was such a shame her health went elsewhere. She deservesd a better life than she got, but I'm proud to say her last 3 weeks were pampered, loved and treat filled.

I'll miss you poor girl. She is buried with my other rats now in a small section of the garden, where i'm sure, old girl Flitt, in my avatar, will look after her at the bridge.

Some pictures of her on the day we got her, when she was at her most healthy, the only pictures I have :sad3:

Pookie on the right with Jiggy
040507f9.jpg

e603d763.jpg

Skinny little girlie
5ac9a363.jpg

8baa1172.jpg

I'm sorry life was so hard my girl. :sad4:

She was such a sweet delicate little girl... but health just wasn't on her side, you can see in the first 2 pics a lump in her armpit.. it felt very much like a cyst, and i was planning to have it removed once her chestiness was under control... but poor babes didn't quite make it :cry:

A beautiful yet so sad a story.

I'm so very happy to read how many of us rescue unwanted rats. You went out there and brought her to a wonderful home. Who can blame her for not wanting to leave just yet, for wanting more time in this heaven on earth.

Bless you Starfoot... bless all of us that rescue.

Her story brought tears to my eye. I know how hard it could be, as we all do to let these babies go. You get way more attached then you could ever think possible.
You did the right thing, and she will be missed.
RIP Pookie

Back