PLEASE HELP Swollen Leg!!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ceremony

My daughters rat Dexter has a swollen foot. He has had this before and it doesn't seem to look like Bumblefoot. The vet put him on Baytril and it cleared up, I guess I am going to have to take him again, is there anyone out there that can tell me what this is or maybe another way to avoid it happening?
He has not been eating as well, but it seems normal he would not be feeling hungry if he feels sick.
dexter.jpg

Poor little dear, it's a recurring thing? When was the last time he had it? I could be cellulitis which may be why the Baytril helped. If you bring him back ask for Bactrim/Septra/Novotrimel... it seems to work best and it's also a cheaper med.
You may want to try metacam as well. It's a pain reliever but more importantly and anti-inflammatory.
Does he have a ladder in his cage that he might be getting his foot caught into?
If it's a normal sprain, that's quite common in rats and should resolve itself soon enough.

He had this same problem when he was younger, before he had a ladder, so I don't think it is a sprain. We have since removed the ladder from the cage because he is having so much trouble walking around. I appreciate such a quick response, I am very worries and gues we will be taking him back to the vet tomorrow.

That might be your best bet... a vet can feel around for a sprain. I'm a little concerned that the swelling doesn't seem to go up the leg and is remaining right at the foot. It's definitely not bumblefoot.

Back