Pip is breathing hard - help in Halifax needed

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

groundhog593

This started a while ago, but I didn't notice it was a breathing problem until I got back from Ecuador, May 13. Pip has been losing weight steadily, losing energy, for months. When I was away for a month, I got back and she was WHEEZING. The people whose care I had left her in didn't know what to do, and hadn't got around to taking her to a vet. I took her there the next day.

Dr. Benoit prescribed baytril and doxy, he weighed her and listened to her chest but he didn't hold her, or feel her lungs, or anything I thought he would do. I hoped the meds would do the trick.

She has been on them for 12 days now, with no improvement. In fact, she is getting worse. Today... well, it is just so painful to watch her today.

She hasn't eaten anything ALL DAY, and her breathing is SO BAD, it is like she has a contraction every time she has to take a breath. I hold her in my hand and she doesn't do anything... doesn't squirm, doesn't fight... very unlike her, she doesn't like being held. She doesn't even swallow her meds if I shove the syringe in (she lets them dribble down her chin). She has to open her mouth all the way and flare her nostrils to breathe in. She is exhausted. Each breath racks her frame, which is all skin and bones by now.

I don't know what to do! Someone suggested a shot of steroids as a last-ditch attempt at giving her some life. But it would only be a temporary solution.

Right?

Pred might help her. It could give her time for the meds to take effect. Also a different combo of meds might be helpful. How old is she? Sounds like she's gasping right now.

I don't know exactly how old she is, I have had her for a year, but she wasn't a baby when I got her. Not full grown yet either. I estimate a year and a half? She was one of my first rats, though, so I have no idea. I am not good with time, either.

Steroids could help, it sure couldn't hurt. Can you get meds from your vet? Maybe try a different combo, Zithro and Doxy, I know Baytril and Doxy worked wonders on one of mine.

Yeah, the prednisone might help open up her airway and let her breathe easier. It is temporary, but pred can also be given for a few days.

If she's mouth breathing/gasping for breath, I hope there's a vet you can get her to now.

KristyR said:
Yeah, the prednisone might help open up her airway and let her breathe easier. It is temporary, but pred can also be given for a few days.

If she's mouth breathing/gasping for breath, I hope there's a vet you can get her to now.

Even if I knew a vet that would see her now, I don't have a car to take her anywhere.

Would your vet prescribe over the phone, since he has seen her before? Then you'd just have to get to a drugstore. If he called in a prescription for Pediapred you could have it tonight. If you can't get hold of him tonight, maybe someone in the city would have some to lend you.

Things sound very desperate, however, if she is gasping. I don't know whether a steamy bathroom would help at all.

It may be too late to save her if she has a pituitary tumour. I sure hope not, though.

Godmother said:
Would your vet prescribe over the phone, since he has seen her before? Then you'd just have to get to a drugstore. If he called in a prescription for Pediapred you could have it tonight. If you can't get hold of him tonight, maybe someone in the city would have some to lend you.

Things sound very desperate, however, if she is gasping. I don't know whether a steamy bathroom would help at all.

It may be too late to save her if she has a pituitary tumour. I sure hope not, though.

I called, but he doesn't have an after-hours number: his voice mail forwarded me to the animal hospital (they don't know me... I doubt they would prescribe over the phone).

Plus, I can't give her the injection myself.

Damn, damn, damn, she must be thinking. Stupid humans, why can't they figure things out, she must be thinking. I can't believe our poor fragile race has been entrusted to the care of these bungling idiots, I feel her eyes communicate to me when I look at her. I am so sorry, Pip. so sorry.

Pip most likely has pulmonary abscesses and it's really just a matter of time... I've had plenty of rats go through this. It's no fun, that's for sure.
Pred/steroids will help her breathe easier but it's a temporary fix. You can try to add Zithromax to your med list to really attack the infection hard.
I'm so sorry Pip is going through this.

SQ is calling to see if there's anything she can do to help. She has some pred & lasix, but doesn't know how to give injections. Let's hope Pip makes it through the night.

Our boy Wembley was acting this way last week. After some xrays the vet said he has congestive heart failure. She could see where his heart was emlaregd and some fluid in his lungs. He is on Lasix and Analapril every 12 hours now. The vet said that if it works, he could have a couple of good months before we need to look at putting him to sleep.

Thanks for all the advice, guys.

She didn't make it :( I buried her at 3:30 am in a little park outside my house. She died in her favourite hammock, cuddled by her sister and friends.

I am so very sorry.
I hope her passing was easy ...
I'm sure that you and her friends were a huge comfort to her during her illness.
I am so glad I was able to meet and cuddle Pip :heart:
... such a dear, sweet girl.

:hugs:

Back