Petcetera today

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lise

I went to Petcetera today to pick up some litter, and they had a shipment of baby rats (3 of them) that they just got in two days ago.

They have a baby siamese! I have never seen a siamese in the pet stores here since I got Tevy in August 05. They ship in from a mill out of province, so at least these babes have a bit of a chance at being healthy unlike the ones from our local rat mill which come equipped with respiratory problems.

The employees there were completely useless though. I spent some time holding the babies, who were absolutely terrified and had clearly never been handled before in their lives. I finally got the smeeze baby to calm down in my arms, and relax after 5 minutes of cupping and cooing at her. Then the assistant manager takes her from me and puts her up on his shoulder where she was terrified and when the rat started freaking out he promptly grabbed her by the tail and swung her down into the tank. AAGH!

I told him politely that is how they can lose the skin over their tail, which will expose bones underneath and is very painful... but he just looked like he wanted to laugh at me. Petcetera supposedly prides themselve on being humane with all animals, and making people fill out adoption forms etc. Well perhaps they should try educating their employees first... grr.

I almost brought her home, and part of me still wants to go back but logic says that it isn't a good idea right now. Stupid brain.

That kind of temptation is nearly irresistible. I've encountered a few "stupid" pet store employees, especially last summer. I just don't understand how almost everyone has compassion for dogs and cats even hamsters but when it comes to rats, zilch.

This doesn't surprise me and it's so sad. This why I don't go into pet stores that sell live animals. I don't want to end up buying one of the pets and contributing the the problem. :(

I totally agree I boycott the petstore now where I bought my original rats, and where I used to buy all my rat food through. I won't even step foot in the place anymore. I buy as much as I can at pet stores that don't sell any animals (I love Pet Valu), unfortunately there are always a couple things they don't stock. Petecetera is now stocking Healthy Pet Fibre litter which is awesome, except that they carry animals.

I'm holding out for local rescue ratties (rare) or more breeder rats though.

Back