Percy has an abscess

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pshuga03

My poor little squishy Percy has an abscess about an inch and a half above his wee wee. It appears to have popped already :gaah: I gave him a good bath then did a warm saline solution soak using a cotton ball and will be taking him in to the vet tomorrow. My vet's just now learning about rats and how to take care of them specifically *they aren't her first rats she's seen, but I'm the most obsessive hehe* Any advice for me or for her, in regards to a specific antibiotic to give him? Again, it's on his abdomen...lots of prayers his way too please. :doh:

It's very common and a common place too... Novotrimel is good for abscesses as well as Baytril. Keep flushing it and don't put any ointment on it. You want it to heal from the inside out, not outside in.

Abscesses suck, but ones in places like that are pretty easily treated for the most part. Keep it clean, and you'll do fine.

Just picked him up from the vet. His poor little tummy was shaved down and the abscess was lanced to make sure all puss was out. It was also irrigated with saline solution and he's on ABs *runs off to grab the bottle* called SMZ/TMP with cherry flavor added. She said she chose this kind b/c it takes care of the negative bacteria while not affecting the positive in his system. He will take 0.3cc every 12 hours and continue with the warm saline soaks.

One thing that bothered me though is that she said she didn't have any pain meds for rats :wallbang: what the heck?! I asked well what about the metacam like we get for the dog when he has his skin treatments? She said that the metacam she supplies is in a pill form and can't be converted to liquid for Percy safely. Are abscesses that painful? Should I call around to another vet's office to get some metacam liquid? He doesn't appear to be in any pain, eating and drinking normally and still bruxxy/boggly/cuddly...so I'm not sure how hard I should try to get him pain meds. :wink2:

She suggested I move him into another cage while it heals, but I'm afraid he'll get lonely and upset being away and then the boys won't be as nice when I bring him back into the FN. What is you guys' opinions on separating him while he heals? Maybe I could put him in a hospital cage with a sweet brother who can keep him groomed and cuddled? Thanks you guys! :cuddle:

You can get liquid metacam for ratties. The dosage, from "Rat Health Care", is 0.25 mg/lb BID. Abscesses, however, once drained aren't that painful as most of the pain comes from the pressure of the pus before it drains. It's probably just a little tender. I would leave him in with the others as long as they aren't picking on him or his 'owie'.

I don't think pain meds are necessary with an abscess. The meds you got are excellent for abscesses... it's another name for Novotrimel. And don't separate him either!!

That's what my vet gives me too. He probably doesn't need any pain meds. My boys never did with abscesses and they seemed fine. Also don't bother separating him, just try to keep the area clean. Once the meds start working the area will look pretty weird and gross...but that's normal. The first time I saw it I thought he was being eaten!

I wouldn't separate him either, just more stress on the little guy. Just make sure the cage is extra clean. Mine never got pain meds either with an abscess.

Percy is doing great! Most of the swelling is down and it just has like a hard rim around where it ruptured, but the oozies and whatnot :sick2: are GONE thank goodness! He even boggles after I give him his meds :giggle: I think it's because he gets extra scritches and sweet talk about how he's such a good big boy and an example to the other manrats :giggle: **strokes his little ego** I've left him in with his brothers and there hasn't been a problem at all yay!

Back