"owie stretches" on 2nd day after spay? UPDATE: All is well

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Godmother

Cadillac's spay was more complicated than it would have been on a rat with less abdominal fat, so I was expecting owie stretches yesterday and into the evening.

Today I got home early from work to find that she is still doing it. I don't think she has had anything much to eat. There are only a few tiny rat raisins, probably belonging to Sammie (who is eating a little).

I have the option of taking her into the vet at the end of his evening. Am I worrying too much? She can move around, and I have seen her climb a bit, but she does owie stretches afterwards and then lies down again to sleep.

If she has been getting her metacam and she is doing the owie streches anyway ... it is time to go back to the vet!
She may be like Edith and need something different for pain management.

My husband took her in to the vet (I had to work this evening), but he does not think there is a problem. She peed on the table, and it was clear, so she must have been drinking OK. He wants her to continue getting the Metacam.

One problem is that they are each supposed to get one drop of the Metacam. Sammie weighs about half what Cadillac weighs. I am going to give Caddy an extra half drop for her next dose.

Cadillac is doing much better over the last few hours. She's active, has eaten a little bit, and even took a piece of banana (last night and this morning wouldn't touch it, and it is one of her faves). She even did a few seconds in the wheel before she thought better of it.

Sammie is very lively. Both have nice incisions, with no chewing of stitches!

Godmother said:
My husband took her in to the vet (I had to work this evening), but he does not think there is a problem. She peed on the table, and it was clear, so she must have been drinking OK. He wants her to continue getting the Metacam.

One problem is that they are each supposed to get one drop of the Metacam. Sammie weighs about half what Cadillac weighs. I am going to give Caddy an extra half drop for her next dose.

Godmother, you do realize you can email for dosage help from me don't you? :cheeky:

There is a new recommended dosage now on RG, that is much higher than it used to be .5-2 mg/kg when it used to be .2-.4 mg/kg...a big jump :)

Glad to hear the ladies are well :thumbup:

Wow, Lilspaz, I did not know about the change in recommended dosage! And I will adjust the dose for weight from now on. I think that vets want to make things easy for us, but Cadillac is a big girl and needed more.

She was looking OK this morning, but I smeared the Metacam on her mouth so that she'd have no choice but to swallow it. All three girls ran to the cage door this morning, so I guess she's forgiven me for taking her for surgery.

When I saw the change I emailed Karen from Rat Guide for reassurance. I usually go in between with my pain meds now, but its nice to know you can give more if necessary.

Dosage Recommendations
0.5 mg/kg , PO or SQ , daily. 26

or

1.0 mg/kg , PO or SQ , daily. 5 17

or

1.0 mg/kg to 2.0 mg/kg , PO or SQ , daily. 26

Back