Our rat is getting old

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

svinepels

He's over two and a half years now, and lately he has been very slow and lazy. He's almost unable to walk and can't climb at all. He breathes fast and generally doesn't look very well. Signs of oldness? Should we go to the vet and put him to death?

-From the owners of Frank!

LOL "put him to death"... what?!?!

I think he needs a trip to the vets to get a look over (no death though!!!). He needs his breathing checked out, and seeing if there is anything else wrong with him. What do you feed him? Also whats his cage like?

Your old boy needs a looksee at the vet, he might have a URI (upper respiratory infection) which would affect his breathing and he would sleep alot if he was sick. He would need some antibiotics. The hind end paralysis is very common with old boys but they adapt well...some even continue to climb by dragging themselves up the ramps.

If he's that ill, you could have him put to sleep to save him any more suffering, but old doesn't mean give up yet.

They do slow down with age, but he could have an infection too. I would take him to the vet to assess him though. He might just need meds. Good luck with your sweetie.

I've had rats live to 43 months! So your boy could still have a lot of life left in him. Slowing down, not being able to walk is part of it but certainly not cause to be put to sleep. All he needs is extra care and love, make him more comfortable, no levels to climb and yes, seeing a vet is always a good thing but only as a check up.

Ok, thanks for the advice, I wasn't aware of this. "Put to death", that's what my dictionary translated a very formal and nice Norwegian word to. It wasn't meant to be that informal and gruesome, I guess. :p

Hehe There's no need to apologise.

If you haven't already, give your boy lots of ramps in his cage so he can easily access everywhere. If you think he is looking unwell, check what he is eating. Make sure he is eating enough. You might have to give him some baby food or something else soft if he is actually ill. The vet will be able to tell you. Rats are very prone to chest infections, and they can become very serious if they aren't spotted and treated fast.

You could also try give your boy a Cod Liver Oil capsule once a week or so. Might help with his joint movement

Back