OUCH! what did I do to deserve that? STILL BITEY

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jems71

I am home with the flu today :( . Been feeling pretty crappy, but had a bit of energy so about an hour ago went in to see my rattie kids...I could only find 3 of them, so as I gently moved some of their furniture around I found the 4th, when she lashed out and bit me! she was hiding behind one of the litter boxes not a usual place for any of them to sleep that I have noticed.
After this biting she (Altana oldest approx16-17months) sat there sort of puffed up for a min or two, then came out from her hidning place took a cpl cheerios from me, got herself cleaned up (no longer puffy)
I took her out (of course she is reluctant to leave the safety of her cage) I looked her over no new lumps her tumor she has doesn't seem any differnt, listened to her breathing (didn't hear anything I would think was unusual),I put her back she had a drink took a cpl soy nuts from me then proceded to rearrange the bedding.

Do you think I just startled her, I know I have had older dogs and cats that were easily startled when sleeping and would sometimes jump and or snap in such instances...
I am sad cause I worry something is wrong or she doesn't like me! Should I worry or take it as an isolated case for now until I see other warning signs or agression?

Thanks
T :sad3:

You probably woke her or startled her. I've had a few of mine do this. Once my dog did this to my husband, scared the hell out of him. lol

Yeah thats what I was thinking or hoping for...I will watch for signs of pain or what not just incase...
Maybe she was telling me to get my probably swine flu infected butt back to bed and leave her to sleep, after all it was only 10:30am sleeping time for the girls haha!

OK Altana has taken to biting us occassionally! She seems grumpy like warning us that she doesn't want us bugging her...What the heck? We don't force her to come out when she is sleeping...she is still a bit shy and doesn't really like coming out of the cage...so we only make her come out when she is fully awake and we don't keep her out too long 10-15mins at a time...and start it out with a treat before coming out and a treat while being out (yogurt drop or cheerio)

Most times she is sweet and will come up to you and let you pat her...but lately she has been bitey like leave me alone biting...and usually I am just cleaning out a litter pan or removing stashed food...at first I thought maybe I was startling her but she has been doing it when awake now too

I have checked her over for new lumps or tender spots nothing I can find and the tumor she has doesn't seem to be bothering her...she is as active as usual...is eating well (she is the only one that seems to actually like the rat blocks) not lost or gained weight (she goes up and down...give or take 5-6grams so I would say its steady)
the cage is locked until I am home so no kids bugging her...and the room door is shut so no cats or dogs in stressing her out...

I would start force socializing with her now. It could very well that she's gotten used to the stress free environment so any disruption has become her source of stress.

OK ...in the sweater she goes! :lol: Will need to be a big sweater...since the babies feel like its their right to climb in your shirt and Ellesmera is beginning to follow them! Silly gurls! :D

Back