Otto's Skin...Pics are a bit gross if you have a tender tum

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilspaz68

Otto is a rescue I took in 1 year ago this month. He was never handled his first 12 months of life, and prefers not to have much of it now. His brother (albeit 4 months older) Wilbur has no skin issues, just chronic URI.

Ottoassorenov11.jpg

Ottossore3nov11.jpg

Ottossore2nov11.jpg

Its a small localized sore he is now scratching raw and bloody as of this morning. I noticed the sore last week but he was so stressed out I couldn't look at it very well, and it was well covered with fur. I put him on baytril, gave him metacam, and put on fuciderm topically this morning. If he doesn't respond to treatment then I also have tinactin here which will work for fungal conditions.

Otto has another funky little skin thing going on, but he hates for me to look for it. That one is different from this one. I saw this and automatically thought Staph, but am hoping its not that bad. Any thoughts?

Do you think it maybe ringworm that he has irritated? If so then tinactin should take care of it. Ringworm is so itchy I can see why he would want to scratch at it so bad. I get it almost every summer thanks to my DOGS. =)

Melissa's ZOO said:
Do you think it maybe ringworm that he has irritated? If so then tinactin should take care of it. Ringworm is so itchy I can see why he would want to scratch at it so bad. I get it almost every summer thanks to my DOGS. =)

All the cases of ringworm I have seen (with others, never experienced it with my rat, but have had it in the past from stray cats) have had big pink rings over the back or body of the rat, this isn't quite like that. I will watch it though, just in case.

kinda looks like pyaderma???? which is a staph infection
Daytona, our dog has it ALL the time... his is on his back too. VERY itchy, and can be smelly...
He's on Zenequin for it, and it has helped a TON!!!

Aww your poor sweetie. Hope it's only dermal. It kinda looks like Sam's but he was full of cancer inside when she removed it. Good luck. :hugs:

Only you could possibly get pyoderma twice....

I'm hoping it's not. Ringworm that has been really bugged at and picked at could look like that... I've seen pics of some really nasty cases. I'm interested to know what the other "skin irritation" looks like.

That bad one also looks a bit like a nasty hot spot... caused by an allergy or possibly even a bug bite that turned nasty. One of my boys at work (dog, of course) had a bad one on his back.... very similar looking to that, actually, but way bigger.

Back