Ortiz Aug. 1st/06 to Sept. 13/07 :(

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilspaz68

Ortiz was one of my Wildlings, born of Rennie and most likely Hobo. Conceived in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada in a back yard garden. He was part of a family of 10 identical agouti babies born soon after mom was captured by the backyard’s owner.
Three of the boys are living with mamarat, and the other 7 now 6 are here with me, and Hobo resides with Vanessa.

These guys are partial if not ½ wild rats.
These rats are really different than our domestics, very instinctual behaviours and fears they cannot conquer. Overall they are not particularly handleable and really hate scary HANDS. Arlene told me that its not me they are scared of just my hands. So we worked on a method of jumping into a bag when I was taking them out of their cage, etc. They learned soo quickly, and seemed so relieved not to be grasped.

Ortiz in the last while developed a rocking breathing but there was no porphyrin, no puffed fur, no lung noises (rat phone was managed), etc . His appetite was good, but he wasn’t quite as active. Some of you might know that my wonderful rat vet had sold her clinic and was going to be unavailable until Octoberish when her new clinic would be ready. She would be the only one I could/would trust to be able to examine and treat my Wildlings, so basically we were on our own. I tried a course of baytril with no result. Then it was baytril/doxy, still not any improvement. His breathing got worse but still no other symptoms. Then I tried dexamethasone to see if I could help any inflammation in his lungs. Nada. Lasix was next as a diagnostic for an underlying heart condition, not a single change, and after his 2nd dose he started to gasp… :( So yesterday I went and picked up my last prescription of zithromax and was going to try zithro/doxy to see if that might help. After taking just the doxy he started to gasp again. This time I noticed he was cyanotic (not enough oxygen in the blood makes their extremities look blue). Today I took him to the vet and had him put to sleep. He was going to suffocate sooner than later and I wanted to not let him suffer any longer. BUT Ortiz in typical Wildling fashion made a final Wildling reaction to the situation. I told the vet I had to hold him, as no one else ever had. Well he freaked out and crunched through my finger. He must’ve hit an artery because there was blood everywhere. I didn’t care but kept holding him into the gas mask while the vet freaked out…LOLOL. I was stroking his hind leg with a finger and telling him to let go. Poor Ortiz had very little lung capacity left so it took over 5 minutes for him to anesthetized. My vet told me I had to go to a doctor since I could easily have been given leptospirosis from Ortiz…:roll:

So Ortiz is suffering no more, my finger aches, but has a compression bandage on it, and I will remember my little Wildman for a long long time to come when my finger hurts. The other Wildlings must be very proud at his last gesture. LOL

Fare well my beautiful Wildboy Ortiz, say Hi to Pippens for me :heart:

The Wildlings at 4 weeks (Ortiz is one of them..hehe)
Renlingsat4weeks.jpg

Ortiz at 5 weeks old
babyboy2.jpg

Beni and Ortiz at 6 weeks
BeniandOrtizclose.jpg

Ortiz at 4 months
Ortizthetimidat4moheld.jpg

"Into the Bag"
BagoWildlingsJune4.jpg

Ortiz shows off his belly (first and only time he lay calmly like this)
OrtizbellyMay25.jpg

Ortiz on June 29...a much stockier boy
OrtizJuen29.jpg

And this morning :(
Ortizsetp13.jpg

Ortizsept132.jpg

Run free like you always wanted to my little man! :heart:

I'm so sorry, he was so handsome, and definitely full of personality like all the Wildthings are :( You made the right choices for him, and understood their needs and fears. ((hugs))

mamarat said:
I'm so sorry, Shelagh, beautiful tribute to a "different" rattie. Ortiz was a wildman to the end. :roseopen:

Hehehe, can't blame him. He couldn't breathe and I was sticking his head inside something scary, so he panicked. My fault entirely. I actually giggle at the thought. The vet was freaking out, and I was calmly holding Ortiz, stroking his hind leg with a free finger and telling him to let go. :lol:

But before this he was either lying on my shoulder or crawling into my crossed arms and lying there with his eyes closed as I stroked him.

I am sorry Shelagh for losing Ortiz. You did the right thing in the end. It is too bad that your vet wasn't available but it may not have helped. Somethings are ment to be. RIP Ortiz. Say hi to Snowflake, Angel, Faith, Malaika, Snickers, Dusty and Mrs. Black. They were all wonderful rats just like you.

Ann

Poor boy.... but you're right, now he can do all the digging and scampering he would ever care to do.

*hug*

Back