Only 1 week until I get the babies!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smalltowngirl

:joy: Okay we are down to 7 days away until we pick up our two Siamese baby boys! I have more questions to make sure everything is perfect.

I have a couple different large tanks(55 gallon and 40 gallon bow front) and a cage(37"tall x 22"wide x 24"deep and it already has hardware cloth.(1/2" x 1/2" square). Which one would be best for the babies first few weeks here? They will be 6 weeks old and they are brothers.

Is there any special instructions for babies? Should I keep track of their growth? I know the basics and just wanted to make sure there isn't more. Rizzo was half grown when I got him and he is my 1st. :heart: :heart: :heart:

I feel like a little kid counting down for Christmas! :giggle:

I was thinking that also. We have central air and a ceiling fan going in our living room all the time. We keep it about 73 degrees in our house. I didn't know if they would be chilly be so young.

The cage will be perfect as long as they are okay temperature wise. I know not to put them where it is drafty.(In front of vents or fans) I'm hoping they bond well with Rizzo and go into his huge cage.

I would never ever put rats in a tank. I did when I first got rats...until I put my head in it, the tank had just been cleaned but the air in there was so stifling, I could never do that again. Rats have such sensitive lungs and respiratory systems that just the slightest ammonia buildup or poop smell could set them off on the wrong track. I'd definitely put them in the cage with lots of hidey homes where they could totally escape the air from C/A or fan if they want too. Also, having them in a cage with wires will allow them to hear you, smell you, see you and interact with you. In a tank, they are pretty much sheltered from the outside world and that's not good mental stimulation. Rats are so intelligent and so curious, they need the different sounds, sights and smells to keep them busy, thinking, exploring and being rats. :wink2:

jorats said:
I would never ever put rats in a tank. I did when I first got rats...until I put my head in it, the tank had just been cleaned but the air in there was so stifling, I could never do that again. Rats have such sensitive lungs and respiratory systems that just the slightest ammonia buildup or poop smell could set them off on the wrong track. I'd definitely put them in the cage with lots of hidey homes where they could totally escape the air from C/A or fan if they want too. Also, having them in a cage with wires will allow them to hear you, smell you, see you and interact with you. In a tank, they are pretty much sheltered from the outside world and that's not good mental stimulation. Rats are so intelligent and so curious, they need the different sounds, sights and smells to keep them busy, thinking, exploring and being rats. :wink2:

:thumbup: Okay I got it. Fish in tanks ~ no rats EVER. Any other baby instructions?

jorats said:
Lots of interactions and playing!! Get them running, hopping and popcorning and wanting to be with you. :D

LOL YOu should know me well enough by now girl! Those babies will get love around the clock! This house is very active during the day and evening! All my critters get lots of love daily! :heart: I am so excited I'm about to burst! (I have been waiting to get these guys for several months now.)I will be a proud picture happy Momma soon!(Only 6 days now)

Back