OMG I lost the rat!!!! Found!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OceanEyes117

So i got home from work today and went to go check on the new rattie, and I see the side door is open... I am freaking out. My door has been closed all day but I can't remember if I saw her this morning or not when I moved her cage on my bed, and if I left the door open this morning or sometime last night. I don't know what to do and I feel AWFUL. I'm going to start searching every nook and cranny in here, but is there anything else I should do?

Leave her a dish of treats and water. When I had escapes, I used to make food that really had a scent to them (e.g. cookies, bbq) and hoped that would lure them out. A lot of times the rat would eventually make its way back home on its own too!

It happens to me often. Even if they don't respond to their name, call them. They will recognize your voice. Look in your closet, under your bed, inside of things,etc. If all else fails, leave the cage door open. Also set out treats and a food dish, like the person above said.

I found her late last night! Thanks for all the suggestions. She was hiding in the way back of the closet. When I found her I was so relieved that I went straight for her so of course she lunged at me got gave me a teeny bite on the finger. I don't blame her one bit! I'm actually surprised she didn't get me harder for being a stupid human and not paying attention. I put the terrified one back in the cage and she went straight for the water bottle and then the safety of her purple hut. I have her out on the bed now with cage access and I'm gonna bring her some yogurt and oatmeal to try and make up to her. Do you think this will set us back at all with trust building?

Not at all. Female rats in general are adventurous, active and like to "nose-poke".
Being sociable critters, she should bounce right back!
Congratulations on your find!

Back