older rattie girl and pee question

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilangel

well as you know (or may not :) ) Fancy is about 1 1/2 years old and well my thing is she kind of pees in her little sleeper thing she has and she will pee on herself sometimes(little old girl) so i thought to buy this

Super Pet Critter Shampoo
Quick & Clean Instant Shampoo its good for small animals such as hamsters,rats and others.
If you're short on time, but still want a clean, happy pet, try this tearless, no-rinse formula. Just spray on to see dirt loosen and oils dissolve. This non-irritating blend will leave skin and coat deodorized and the baby powder scent will last and last.

i just want to be sure its safe for her. has anyone else used this before?

as using a cloth does not seem to get it out for her :(

You cannot spray anything on rats...those respiratory systems are just too sensitive.

Can you not just give her a gentle wipe down with a damp cloth? Or a little sitz bath so she doesn't get urine scald?

18 months is middle-aged but nowhere near old. Maybe she is a marinator?

ok good to know then, i guess old fashioned cloth will do, but wondered also about rat charmer's question if that's safe for them?

she also lives alone, i have tried many times to add her to the colony that i have going (skye,maggie,storm, and Isis) but no go still, but today they where out a bit and i put them together and no fighting and they left on good terms so im happy about that. fancy got some raisins as a treat for doing so well (they others also hehe)

I use J&J baby shampoo, but my vet recommended an "olive oil rub down" afterwards, but I haven't tried it yet....I know my rescue girls got an olive oil bath of sorts before I got them because its somehow supposed to help with mites, which they weren't sure they had (and if they did, they were gone when they got to me, thank goodness). They're only washed once every other week. Instead of soaping the rats up, I use a washcloth, rub them down with the soapy cloth, then rub them down with a clean one. I end up using 8 facecloths because I'm OCD and don't like to re-use what I used on one on the next, but so far we have no itchies from dryness. I'd say, for now, use a warm damp cloth and help her clean herself up once or twice a day and maybe give her a good soap included bath once a week.

Sounds to me like she's a "marinator". I swear we have at least one in every cage. We just make sure to always swap out their nest box blankets daily, and that seem to work well.

We've been lucky enough to not have to bathe our rats (only had to once). But I do have some soothing oatmeal shampoo we got from our vet. I personally wouldn't use ANY kind of shampoo on rats that were not safe for them or perhaps birds (who also have delicate respiratory systems).

I agree....1 1/2 years is not old. Just sounds like your girl prefers to get her bed nice and seasoned. :?

Debbie said:
Sounds to me like she's a "marinator". I swear we have at least one in every cage. We just make sure to always swap out their nest box blankets daily, and that seem to work well.

We've been lucky enough to not have to bathe our rats (only had to once). But I do have some soothing oatmeal shampoo we got from our vet. I personally wouldn't use ANY kind of shampoo on rats that were not safe for them or perhaps birds (who also have delicate respiratory systems).

I agree....1 1/2 years is not old. Just sounds like your girl prefers to get her bed nice and seasoned. :?

lol im guessing so. im only told she was a 1 1/2 i really cant know for sure though. she does act slower then my other girls and sometimes does tumble from things, thats why i said old.

but i will do the cloth thing and change the bedding more often(weird thing is she never uses the hammocks i put for her :( she only likes this:

so we have two of them and switch each time.

Back