Old before their time?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Good Karma

Hi,

My dumbo boys are about 16-17 months now. I just adopted some adolescences and the new rats are really making me see how old my guys are acting.

My older guys are quite slow compared to these new wippersnappers and my part rex is even going bald.

Is it normal for rats to start getting old this soon?
Are there any supplements or particular foods you can recommend for older rats?

Thanks!

Tara

That's how it used to be with my gang. But since I started restricting their diets to no sugar, low fat, low protein, the getting old doesn't start till past 2 years. I don't know what your little guys are fed, I'm just going by what I've seen in mine.
Keeping rats slim is the key to keeping them younger, that's what I believe.
That being said, I really need to go on a diet. LOL

I know how important nutrition is in over-all health.
I though i was doing well with what i feed.
Do you know of any threads that have diets on them that you recommend?
Tara

When feeding anything try keeping it low protein and no sugar or salt.
Daily fresh veggies, some fruit and full nutrition from a high quality block

Also, keep in mind, this is my own personal experience and belief. I'm sure there are others with diets that work for them and ratties.
I've been researching diets since 2002, I've tried so many different ones and this is what works for me and my rats. I haven't tried the Debbie D molasses diet though... something I may do if I can't get a hold of Harlan Teklad blocks anymore.

I have looked into the blocks....but i am so wary of processed food - none of my animals eat kibble, i make all of my food, so i wanted to do the same with my rats. I have looked into the sunseed and mazuri blocks and it seems like way too much filler and, i am sure, poor quality ingredients.

I feed fresh veggies every night with cooked rice and i make a dry mix similar to the Subee's mix (i think that's what its called). I have tried the molasses mix but found it waaay to messy!

I do also give them freeze-dried raw meat because i know rats are omnivores, not too much though. And of course different kinds of left-overs.

I must admit i do indulge my ratties with different treats that have sugar in them. I should probably cut back on those.

My belief is always evolutionary-appropriate nutrition: what would the animal be eating in the wild and how has that diet been modified living close with humans. I feed raw meat because rats in the wild would not be cooking the frogs, birds or another small animals they would catch.

I also try to loosely follow the food pyramid because rats evolved closely with us and would be eating many of the things we eat.

I am going to check out the blocks you mentioned.

Thanks!

I don't feed my girls raw meat, I am afraid of salmonella. But they do get cooked white chicken and oysters once or twice a week. I think that red meat would probably not be good for them. In the wild they would eat small birds, fish, frogs stuff like that. No dark meat, red meat, or swine.

I feed OxBow as a staple and have ordered some Harlan to add to it. I feed beans (kidney, white, black eyed and pinto)green beans and peas, carrots, potatoes, sweet potatoes, cucumbers and broccoli. bananas and red grapes once or twice a week.

I was going to feed beans, but i wanted to keep the protein level down and i know beans are high in protein. But i guess it's not a big deal if you feed them only once per week.

I checked out the OxBox blocks and they look quite healthful. I have to figure out where to order in Canada.

Before I started lab-blocks I used to give mine rice and it made them swell up and get very fat! I'm trying to do like Jorats, and it's been working, I so want to give them goodies, but just have to remember it's not good for them, I only have two fat ones but my overall life-range has gone from 18 months to more than 2 years, which is very encouraging for that kind of feeding

Wow that's great. All of your rats seemed to have benefited from a block-type diet with fresh extras. I will definitely give the Oxbow a try and see how it goes.

Thanks!
Tara

The problem with trying to feed what you think the wild rat eats is that a wild rats' lifespan is 9 months. They will eat to survive the then and now while staying away from poisons but garbage is sought after.

haha, yeah i just feed my rats a bunch of garbage! :lol:
I guess i mean the most optimal, natural diet. Which is really what we should all be eating...but i love junk and processed foods as well!
My animals eat way healthier than me!

lol ...in fact, I eat garbage. :lol:

I guess a fresh natural diet for rats would have to include grains, nuts, small amount of animal protein, fruit and veggies, along with calcium sources daily, little dairy and no junk food. But again, we don't know if we are feeding the rats all the vitamins, mineral, macro minerals and fatty acids that a rat requires to stay healthy, unless you do the research.

I eat garbage as well. :wink:

My BF always says look "at this you feed me microwave pizza or hot pockets and they get fresh fruits, veggies and chicken, I know who you love more. THE RATS". See but he does not eat fruits and veggies. :? He is a meat and potato guy. I told him it would be a lot easier if he would just eat what the rats ate and then I could feed everyone at the same time. :lol:

Melissa's ZOO said:
I eat garbage as well. :wink:

My BF always says look "at this you feed me microwave pizza or hot pockets and they get fresh fruits, veggies and chicken, I know who you love more. THE RATS". See but he does not eat fruits and veggies. :? He is a meat and potato guy. I told him it would be a lot easier if he would just eat what the rats ate and then I could feed everyone at the same time. :lol:
LOLOLOL!!!!

Back