ok i got a surprise last night and i wasn't home.

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RatatataCrew

my little rattie female fiona was popping out bubs last night. i got her about 2 wks ago. we didn't even know she was prego. she didn't show at all. so what do i do now? an idiot suggested something cruel but i can't bring myself to do it. can anyone help me? i can't always check the fourm but my email is foxisaslyone at yahoo dot com. i don't have any boys so this was COMPLETLY unexpected. i am scared i might not be able to home them all. we live in pensacola, fl and i haven't been home to check on them. i don't even have a nursey set up. one cage for 4 girls. crap how will i make sure they don't mess with the babies. omg i am freaking out!!

When are you going home? There's obviously nothing you can do unless you are home.

Are these one of the Florida rescue rats?

And yeah ANY girl who comes from somewhere you are not totally sure of, has a possibility to be pregnant, and since gestation is normally 21-23 days she's right on track.

IF she didn't show any signs, it might be a small litter. Is she herself a small, or bigger girl?

small girl, looked to be just about 8-9 wks. i am going home soon. waiting on mom to see if she will pay my cell bill. man i am freaked. i was wondering why my three older girls weren't sleeping down in thier bed. sigh. so now that i have babies how do i care for them?

There are a ton of threads on here about bubbies.

Oh and being so young she probably only had a few babies. My 11 week old girl had only 2, but both died before they came into my care :(

Momma will take care of them. But its best if you have a smaller cage for mom and her litter. If she will let you (some rats become nippy/bitey instinctually to protect their litter) you can handle them right away.

You will need to put them on soft bedding (carefresh, fleece, etc for their tender pinkie skin. Mom will need some serious supplementing...more protein, lots of veggies adn her regular food. Be careful with fruit as nursing moms sometimes have an issue with their tummies and have loose poop in the first week.

If getting a cage for mom and babies is not possible, you can make one. (viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2756&hilit=bin+cage and www.petratscanada.com)

Mom needs her good quality lab blocks, daily vegs and it is good to suppliment her diet with baby cereal in a shallow dish several times a day. Baby cereal can be mixed up with soy baby formula, ensure, or water. Other additions to give her more protein, such as a bit of boiled egg are good as well.
Use bedding that does not contain threads such as felt or paper based products.
As Lilspaz68 said, read threads on here about babies growing up. Lots of good info on there.

all the best to you and your new mom.

my roomie checked on her today. she has 5 bubs as far as he can see. i will be going home soon i hope. mom has to help me get my phone turned back on and get some food stuff for the house. i am nervous excited to go home and play with the ratties and bubs.

For finding them homes, look online for the free classified adds. They usually do it by region so you should be able to find one for pensacola. Consider yourself lucky you live in north florida though, your closer to more rat owners up there. I live in central fl and when my girl had 14 It took forever to find homes and I still have 2 looking for homes D: Good luck!

Back