... Oh, Penny...

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheHermit

My lord without the CN I really have no idea what to do with this girl.
I'm at my parents house for the holidays and had to bring Lilly's old cage - the bar spacing is twice as wide as a CN, since it's a starter-rabbit or ferret or some sort of multi-animal LivingWorld bin cage. I forget, I got it years ago when I first got rats. Maria is with Alex at his parent's place. (Maria gets the Lilly's old cage when we get back, she's currently living it up in what I consider the coziest hamster-deluxe ever, being covered in fleece)
Anywho, I was fully expecting her to escape immediately. I was really happy that for the first twenty four hours she stayed in the cage, happily cuddling with Lilly and Maggie. I actually had the delusional notion that she might stay in there.
By the way, I believe Penny to be a dwarf. She is half Maggie's size and they are from the same litter, but she's very high energy and healthy and curious and has never sneezed once that I've noticed. Sounds lovely, but it's a recipe for disaster.
Then we got all the girls (my three and my sister's two) out on the bed. They were out for quite a while, running around, canoodling, pinning, being silly. Two hours later, put them away, keep TV on, on laptop as well, turn light off, getting ready for a nap...
And a little white body darts across the floor.

Oh, Penny. At least I see and know of everything you do... so far. 1) Escape into the wall, which let Maggie do the same later; 2) escape into the couch... three times, all different places; 3) conquer my rat-proofing of the floor heater thus almost escaping into the wall again; 4) rendered our Internet, uh, 'wireless'; 5) conquered Alex's ratproofing of his computer (actually efficient... for anything but a pint-sized rat); 6) loose in my temporary bedroom.
No worries, Kenzie (my sister) has her two separated because the youngest is too small to be with the other (The other is named Ellie, and Ellie and Lilly have/had the same cage), so Penny is bunking with her, named Alice.
I feel bad because Penny can't cuddle and be with her sister and 'big-sister' while I'm here. They'll see each other over playtime but it's Christmas and I don't like that she's separated from her family. Her and Alice got along fantastically on the bed though so a new friend is a nice Christmas present, but again, it's only temporary. I feel like I'm cheating her twice :(

Anyone else had a possible dwarf that is this clever and high-energy? She's like a four-year-old with ADHD. I love her to pieces but gosh, she just gets into trouble all the time. I can't make the slightest change to out-time or living areas without her getting somewhere she shouldn't be. NONE of the other rats act like this that we've ever had :gaah:

Doesn't help that mum is sick... sore throat, coughing, gucky nose, all AFTER nausea episodes and acid-reflux and mono and possible gallstones and... :sick2: :lol2:

She's fine in the CN and we've nearly Penny-proofed our bedroom at the apartment but all this for one rat is just ridiculous.

My Charolette definetly wasn't a dwarf- she was actually pretty big, but she continously found ways out of my ferret cage even after I patched every last one. I would stay up for hours, hidding behind objects to see what she's getting out of. She was such a little daredevil, and so so smart.

I've got two babies that for some reason aren't growing like they are and they love wiggling themselves through the bars and running around on top of the cage, they've never once got down before though.
My special baby on the other hand has wiggled through the bars and fell of her cage but once off she only runs around and sniffs stuff. Never really caught her chewing on anything although she has stolen chips and other foods.

Have you tried taking some other materials to combine to the side of your cages to make the spacing smaller? I took apart on old rabbit cage and used it until the girls either learned to stop trying to escape or they got bigger and it worked great. Just have to find the right item to secure everything and line it up just right. Took awhile before mine couldn't push the metal away and wiggle out again.

As for the rat proofing..well they still are rats and no matter were they are they'll find somewhere to go that they shouldn't :giggle: :gaah:

Also I have to ask what do you mean about the computer? Chewed wires that you can't really cover or was she able get stuff off and destroy the inside?

On a side note, it's hilarious that under "Similar Topics" there is "Penny the Terror" and "Penny!!! You bad girl!!!" by different authors (edit: and one of them even looks like penny! Coloring & eyes!)

But yeah, my boyfriend's computer is an absolute command station. Two monitors, keyboard, master computer, backup hard drive, and his Internet is wired. We've shoved his desk right up against the wall and taped all the wires down to the back of it... all of them run into a cupboard in the desk where all of them are plugged in to a little box thing. IDK where it goes from there, it hurts my head just looking at it, but Penny got into the cupboard and rendered our Internet 'wireless' and his backup hard drive useless. That was BEFORE we taped the cables and moved the desk. We also shoved shirts into any gaps.
Penny still got behind the desk.

Thankfully this cage thing is purely temporary but it's like... I can't bring her anywhere!

Rachael said:
I doubt that she is a dwarf, she could be the runt from the litter though. Do you have any pictures of her?
A few, I'll try to find one where there's a good comparison. I was half-joking but she is quite tiny
edit: she definitely is just a runt... Liam was a runt and he was high-energy, though not nearly as mischevious... though come to think of it, I remember not being able to leave the room without moving my cup away from the bedside table. 100% guarantee that when I came back it'd be tipped over and he'd be lapping up the puddle :emb:

As much as she's a little terror, I have to say your description of her antics made me laugh!

I guess it's good to note naming a rat Penny seems to be a BAD idea, lol Maybe it's a Penny-Club-Take-Over-The-World thing?

Back