Oh, lovely boy intros

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ktina

yeah right. I can't tell you how much I don't like introing boys together. I don't mind girls, I've had very very little (if any) problems with them.

I've tried introducing Scabbers, Ratagain, Reggie and Womble to Arden, Nodin and Jack a while ago. I did it in the tub which was filled partly (not even past their toes) and I thought everything should go ok. Wrong. Ratagain attacked Nodin within the first 5 seconds and left a big wound. So I decided they would just have to live separate.

Now I'm getting a FN for the boys and I thought how lovely would it be to be able to have both halves open and not have to split it in half. So I took one rat in the bathroom with Ratagain and he did well. So then I brought in all the others.

I guess I can't complain. The old boys did get a bit stressed out because of Ratagain and Arden REFUSED to leave my lap. All Scabbers wanted to do was play play play with them but they were less than interested and took it as him challenging them. Womble and Reggie could have cared less, they're so laid back.

Ratagain got in a few tussles with them, nothing serious, though, but he did somehow end up pulling his nail partway off. Gah. I hate trying to stop bleeding on a rat.

I'm going to continue letting them meet twice a day in the bathroom and see how things go. Hopefully they'll all get along and I'll have a big group pic for you all of 7 happy manrats!

Scabbers is neutered and I'm soooo happy at the way he reacted to them because he used to be a compete dominant freak who attacked everyone, even me! I'm really tempted to get Ratagain done just because he can be a jerk to the other ratties.

Maybe the water in the bathtub stressed them out, i have never had a male run and attack anotherand leave a huge wound like that:? thats weird, im thinking if you had water in the tub the boys would be more stressed and scared, i know my boys hate water, the sound of it, the feel of it on there feet. lol

AlexandraBoo said:
Maybe the water in the bathtub stressed them out, i have never had a male run and attack anotherand leave a huge wound like that:? thats weird, im thinking if you had water in the tub the boys would be more stressed and scared, i know my boys hate water, the sound of it, the feel of it on there feet. lol

Take it from someone who has had loads of experience with boys and boy intro attempts. They get hormonal quite easily. We've had many kids who have left gashes in their "new" friends even after repeated intro attempts. The boys take the alpha thing to the extreme sometimes.

Neutering is an awesome thing. Wish it was cheaper in my area!

You are very lucky Alexandraboo, I've had it happen too.

Ktina, you're doing great. Keep at it. Sometimes just waiting a bit and trying again is all they need. Of course, neutering the sucker would help too. lol

Back