not sure what this means

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smilez_n_hugs

So I just picked up my new boys from Lindy yesterday and since getting home I've noticed Riley doing something odd. When he stands still he sways his head from side to side almost like hes looking around but not quite. I havent noticed anything else off with him he runs around fine and climbs the cage like crazy. So I am just wondering if this sounds like the start of something...maybe an ear infection or am I just being paranoid?

Does he have red eyes? They tend to have poorer eyesight and will sway from side to side to judge distance etc-he's probably fine ^_^

ok so Riley and his brothers were just out and I saw his eyes in a different light and now I'm thinking they might be very dark red so now I definately think he might just have poor eyesight..whew I'm so glad its nothing serious

Swaying is definitely poor eyesight and usually worse for pink and red eyed rats.
They gauge depth and focus better with the swaying. Sure makes them adorable. :nod:

When my Melody is really concerned about seeing something, she hunkers right down and does a slow sway. It's so cute.

I was prepared when I got Melody... I had read about red eyed rats swaying on the forum. But it really does throw you off to see it.

I've got two red eyed ratties....My boyfriend told me not to get too attached to Elly because he didn't think she would live for very long because of the sway :(....Then I looked it up and was happy again :)

I love their swaying! Especially when there is music playing :)

Back