Not gaining weight

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pinkies_mama

Jack was about a year and a half when we got him, and he weighed about 600g. When he started on Harlan 2016, he lost a little, but we figured it was stress from moving, new food, new environment, etc (he was a classroom pet.)
Within the last two months or so he has lost most of his ability to use his hind legs. We've been to our wonderful vet many times, he got a steriod shot and gets 0.2ml glucosimine every morning.
It seemed to have helped, he managed to take a couple of steps with his left (weaker) leg about two weeks ago.

Now, however, he keeps losing weight. I know a lot of it is from his loss of muscle mass in his legs, he's nothing but skin and bones waist-down. :sad3: He flucuates between 500g-470g, which is way too much for this mama to handle. We've been giving him baby formula, cereal, puffs, various fruits & veggies, nuts, and other treats along with his lab blocks. He doesn't seem to be eating enough to continue gaining weight. He also doesn't seem to be interested in food, unless its bad for him :giggle: (like a bit of pizza crust last night) or unless we feed him via a syringe.

What can we do???

It's time to add the good fat in his diet. Start putting olive oil in his baby food.
Is he still moving around or just staying in one place, also does he live alone?

I'll start that tonight. He ate a whole lot of baby food I left him last night, which is a good sign. I also put some lab blocks in water for him, which he ate a little of that too.
We tried to introduce Jack to the girls after he was neutered, with no luck. He lives alone, on the dining room table (against the wall), with two water bottles, good places to hide, and no ramps.
lol we had him litter box trained but now he can't get into it, so he poops next to it :giggle:

He sure does. He's a good boy :heart:
He really does not like the olive oil in his formula, but he is eating more of the baby food itself. He's staying in the 500-511g range now. I also tried some low protein cat food and he doesn't respond. I figure he really wasn't experienced to any variety of foods, being a classroom pet. :rant2:
I guess we'll just keep trying various things.

Back