Noises, what's normal?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

louder

I have a pet rat that is about 2 months old. I bought her from PetSmart at the beginning of February.
She's noisy. She squeaks a lot! We just thought it was the cutest thing ever but now when I read the other forums I'm worried that it's the "hiccuping" noise. How do you determine what's normal and what isn't?

It depends on what you mean by squeaking. Actual physical squeaks are one thing, when they're nervous and you pick them up unexpectedly, that sort of thing. If it is a squeaky noise while they are breathing, that's a sign of an upper respiratory infection.

Some people think hiccuping can be a sign of a myco flare up, but actual hiccups can happen without them being ill. If it's happening often, then you should be worried.

http://www.ratbehavior.org/ Is a great website, and covers vocalizations, with sound clips. Those would be fairly normal noises to hear, other noises might require a trip to the vet.

jorats said:
If you hear noises like squeaking when she's by herself with no one bothering her, I would be concerned.

Usually the only time she does it is when we are not in the room.
What might be the problem?

I did a little research, and it sounds like the noise they make when stressed.
But, I don't really know why she might be stressed.
I do know that her cage is to small. I didn't know until I was reading on this site, but it's about 2ft wide, 1 ft back, and 2ft high. She has a house and some chew toys, food, water, and some tubes for playing in.
I mean to get her a new cage, but I'm lost as to what she needs.

She comes out of her cage for about 35 min a day, runs around in a ball, or on the bed, or just snuggles. She sometimes makes noises when we are holding her, but they are much softer, more contented. The ones I'm worried about are a loud squeak. Just one and then it doesn't happen again for maybe an hour or two.

I feel bad, but I just got what the pet store said to get, and do for her.
I don't really know what else to do.

Can you give me some recommendations on cages and accessories and how else to destress her?

Jeez which Petsmart did you get this girl at? Did they suggest a hamster ball? Rats should never be made to run in a ball! Eesh! I would take her into a vet for a check up. As for a cage-I would try to get her something that is marketed towards a ferret. I am not telling you to spend 300 dollars, but take a look on your local craigslist and search for cages for sale-you can get great cages for a great price, and your girly will not care if the cage is used. How long have you had this little one? Does she sneeze at all-are her squeaks more like sneezes? Or are the noised more raspy and sound like a person with a nose cold sounds...taking her to a vet is the best bet. Then after she gets a clean bill of health and a bigger cage, I would invest in another rattie girl so she can have a friend.

This is in Colorado.
She has a hamster type ball, but it's huge. Like a foot wide, they said it would be good.
The noises aren't like sneezes or coughs/cold sounds.
They are just like if you ran your finger on a wet glass and it squeaks. Does that make sense?
I've had her for about 2 months now. I just recently found out (as in like 3 days ago). that maybe the noises were a problem, as well as the cage being to small.

Def need to get a bigger cage and a friend. I would highly recommend not using the ball. You can take it apart and turn it into a bed. Does she make the noise while inside the ball at all? The balls do not offer enough ventilation. I have one of my girls that squeaks/chatters all the time.

The noise they make when stressed would be teeth grinding. Bruxxing is the only sound they should make unless they squeak in protest or when hurt.

I too recommend getting a bigger cage and a buddy.

Back