Niko's odd new behaviors

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mimmom

Niko is old. I was watching her last night and noticing her doing some things I hadn't before and also seeing an increase in some stuff that was there but not as bad. I posted the following on the FB page but haven't heard anything -

"Niko is doing something different tonight. She has done a little of this off and on actually but it was a lot more tonight. She rubs her chin on the floor and kind of stretches out and drags her body along the floor mostly on the side where she has a tumor near her back leg. She wobbles a bit then gets up and starts walking around a bit more normally. She also seems to have trouble telling what is in front of her and has bumped into things a bit. That's very new. Is it likely she is in pain? She's eating well. She gobbled up ensure mixed with baby cereal and baby food sweet potato like crazy and had some puffed rice as well. She's eating some cucumber in the cage right now. She seems a little confused and also seems like she can't tell where food is on a plate. She can get to the plate but especially with puffed rice she seems to need to run her mouth around a bit in the food before she gets a piece."

I thought maybe the rubbing and dragging stuff might have been her way of trying to get herself clean so I let her do some pea diving today. She loves that and can still do it. It gets her clean and makes her happy at the same time.

She used to be very kissy but not much any more. She will lick inside our mouths a little if we give her that opportunity but she used to try to get in our mouths or lick our faces constantly. She seems like she's having trouble with her mouth, maybe. I wish she could tell me what's going on!

mine do that when they are choking, taking metacam or drooling for a not so good reason. Is she doing any of them?

hopefloats said:
mine do that when they are choking, taking metacam or drooling for a not so good reason. Is she doing any of them?

Niko isn't taking metacam and isn't drooling. I've seen her choke but that's not what she's like right now. I posted a link so you can see her. She didn't seem to be choking just looked really tired. I thought maybe her back or leg was hurting. I also thought she might be uncomfortable from not being able to clean herself well so we did some pea fishing this morning and she loved that. She ate lots of peas.

Miriam

At first I was going to suggest PT but she's grabbing her food really good and eating it very well too. She's having some major issues with her hind legs.
My mom had a rat that would rub his chin on the floor and he ended up having a PT. So... I don't know, she might have something neurological going on.

Back