Next step in Intro?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Samii

Details of my current and past situations first, question in last paragraph.

I have two intact male rats about a year and a half old. I adopted a third rat, who had been living with the brothers of my boys that is the same age. They passed and he as alone so now he's mine. I want so badly to integrate him into my group but I have had horrible luck with intros in the past. I like to believe that it was Luffy(One of my rats that passed) that caused the issues. He was just an overall grumpy rat, towards me and to his cage mate Simon. He would never get along with Quincy because he is also quite feisty but his brother and he rarely squabble and to me he is a sweetheart.

Okay, got my new rat set up in a cage right next to my boys. I've had them that way for a week or so. I thought they were doing okay, but the other day I noticed Quincy(one of my resident rats) pushing towards the front of the cage. To me, it seemed like aggression, although he didn't fluff himself and I didn't hear any huffing. I haven't noticed anything else. All rats seem to hang out close to each other. Quincy and Cass sleep towards the front of the cage close to Klaus's cage and Klaus chews at the bars of his cage as if he wants to get to Quince and Cass, but I have seen no aggression from him.

I guess the question is, because I'm terrified, what do I do next? I had originally planned to bathe everyone and place them in the bathtub for an initial intro, introducing Klaus to Cass, and then adding Quincy in when I knew they were okay. But, is there any other steps I can take to assure I'm moving as slowly as possible and to raise my success rate?

Hi, you've got a good plan laid out. I would go with that. Make sure there is nothing in the tub except yummy food. Or were you planning on adding water in the tub? Most of us don't do this but if you feel you need a heavy distraction then go for it.
So bathing rats and using water and vanilla, all it does is avoid the inevitable of them finally meeting. Imagine if you had to meet your husband new friend who you may or may not like but first he decides to douse you both with water and disguises you both. Eventually, you will need to face this friend without all the distractions. So you can either make them face each other right off the bat or do the water, bathing and vanilla. It's really up to how comfortable you are with intros. The disguises does not necessarily make intros better, and they definitely won't make them worse.

Back