New to the Forum, Been on the FB Group for a While

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

myvelyn

Hello fellow rodentophiles,
My name is Cindy Ellen Morgan, and I am currently the ratmom of Bibbity, Bobbity, and Boo, who came to me from a local shelter in late August. I am not sure how old they are, but they are robust and healthy girls, though Boo had to have surgery to remove a mammary tumour only a few weeks after she came home with me. She has recovered very well, and based on some research and consultation with my vet, I have her and the others taking flax seed oil every day to try to prevent a recurrence.
I first had rats in the late 1970s, when my then-boyfriend and I brought home two girls from the university lab. Girls weren't needed, so they would have been killed otherwise. I quickly became totally smitten with rats, and still am. Over the years, I had many, many rats, ending with Seymour, who died about 11 years ago.
Recently, I had a pet squirrel named Binky, who came to me after his nest was destroyed by a raccoon. I got him prior to weaning, so he imprinted on me and for 5 1/2 years, I really was his "mom'. Sadly, he died a year ago, and since the rules have changed (or tightened) with regards to keeping wildlife as pets, I won't get to have another one. Too bad -- they do make very affectionate pets.
Last summer, I looked after a friend's rats while she was away, and I realized it was time for me to become a ratmom again. I went on Petfinder and discovered three girls looking for a forever home. I adopted them and they are a delight to me every day!
I'm looking forward to being a part of this group. It is amazing how much more is known now about rats and rat care than when I had my first ones. I am happy to be part of a community devoted to these wonderful little creatures!
Cindy Ellen

Wow, welcome, Cindy! The people on this forum are great- I learn more and more about ratties everyday.

hello and welcome!!
glad you decided to join, you are a familiar name on the FB page :)

and I'm SSSOOO jealous that you had a pet squirrel!!!!

Welcome!
That's very interesting about the flax oil.
Usually we advise people to lower their fats when a rat has a tumour. But I don't know how well it would do as a preventive measure.

Back