New Ratties

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LA

So I have a question all.

As I said in my intro Wayne and I have been thinking of getting another rat. As some of you know we do have the room in our new cage. Now the question is sex. If we get a male, we will neuter him. If we get a female we won't worry about that. Now the question is, in your opinon since I have two females, which do you think is better. We want to get a young rat and ours are only 6 months old.

Thanks

I was thinking about a neutered male, I really love my girls but I also know how a male can be way more mellow (my stepbrothers Cutie was very mellow) so that's one reason I was thinking about a male.

Does it really make any difference. I guess I should really just call the vet first and ask how much it would cost to neuter and decide from there.

I can sure understand wanting to add a male. You could get a young male and have him neutered but you'll have to check with your vet and see how old he is willing to neuter.
It would make a nice mixed colony.

So I have one more question that came up while I was lying in bed trying to get to sleep last night (isn't that the way it happens).

If I were to get a male and neuter him, what happens when my girls go into heat? I know they chase each other, but not a lot. Would the neutered male bother them a lot or very little like the two girls at each other.

Thanks LA

LA said:
So I have one more question that came up while I was lying in bed trying to get to sleep last night (isn't that the way it happens).

If I were to get a male and neuter him, what happens when my girls go into heat? I know they chase each other, but not a lot. Would the neutered male bother them a lot or very little like the two girls at each other.

Thanks LA

I have never had a neutered male that paid any attention to an unspayed female. They just basically lose interest altogether in my experience.
There are other members who have had a lot more mixed colonies than me, I am sure they will also offer their experiences.

One of my Wildthings (Hobo's son) is neutered and he still goes after my spayed females. Go figure.
Vanessa, I love your avatar.

I can't say for sure cause all my girls are spayed but the neutered boys, most of them did leave the girls alone, except for a couple of them, it's like they remembered they needed to do something with the girl. lol
There was hardly any chasing, if anything, the girls were quite fine letting the boys check them out... again, that's with spayed girls, but I imagine it can't be much different?

Ok thank you guys for the info. I am just going to call the vet tomorrow to find out how much neutering (and spaying while I am at it) will cost for a rat. That will really make sure decision.

LA

PS. also thanks for the quick replies. Also I have now signed up for photobucket so I will be posting pics soon.

I have neutered boys who chase my spayed female who goes into "heat", I have neutered boys who ignore the implorings of an intact female. But its all rather harmless just like with the girls with the girls. :)

Well it's been decided, we are going to get a female. For the vets it will cost $130 for neuter and $209 for spay. OUCH. Sorry I really can't afford that right now. I would rather get another female and save the money for when they are sick.

Think we are going to get one on Wednesday when Wayne and I are both off. YAY

LA said:
Well it's been decided, we are going to get a female. For the vets it will cost $130 for neuter and $209 for spay. OUCH. Sorry I really can't afford that right now. I would rather get another female and save the money for when they are sick.

Think we are going to get one on Wednesday when Wayne and I are both off. YAY

Where ya planning on getting the new addition? And where is Port Nicholl?
:oops:

Port McNicoll is 30-45 min north of Barrie. Near Midland if you know where that is.

Not sure yet where we are getting it. A friend of ours has some rats, I checked with the OSPCA but they don't have any.

I was going to check with my pet store and see if they know of anyone.

Or we might actually go back to THAT pet store in Penetang and save one of the cuties from an uncertain death.

LA said:
Port McNicoll is 30-45 min north of Barrie. Near Midland if you know where that is.

Not sure yet where we are getting it. A friend of ours has some rats, I checked with the OSPCA but they don't have any.

I was going to check with my pet store and see if they know of anyone.

Or we might actually go back to THAT pet store in Penetang and save one of the cuties from an uncertain death.

Elizabeth of Mumsy's Rat Rescue just got in those babies from Agnes...you could check with her to see if she has a girl? She lives in Barrie but she often will drive to deliver rats to a new home. :D

Back