New girl very timid: advice re spay?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Godmother

I had thought that Caramel was getting used to me after she slept snuggled up under my jacket last night. I got home late from work tonight and went to get her out of her cage for a snuggle, and she hid under a blanket when I went to pick her up. When she came out again, and I picked her up, she was obviously scared. She tried to resist being taken out, and she emitted a couple of yucky fear poops.

Now I have her in a bonding sack as I type this. She is very still inside the pouch, not trying to escape like any of my other young girls would have done. She wasn't interested in a treat that I offered her. She is probably scared half to death. As far as I know, nobody has ever been unkind to her except for the rat who rejected her at her previous home. (though who knows what her life at the pet store must have been like)

I can't help thinking that it would be very cruel to take her for a spay next Monday with the other girls if she is still scared of me. Would that kill her trust in people for good?

I want to do the spays asap so that I can have the four young ones living together soon, but I don't want to make Caramel worse.

Opinions?

I would take her godmother......I have found after surgery time to be a great bonding time......
They don't seem to look at you as the one who "did it"......but as the one who helped them through it. She is probably going to be a bit frightened anytime...whether you do it now or later.

If you can have the rat close to you on your body, then she should bond faster.
I agree with doing the spay right away. The alternative, get her relaxed with you and then a scary trip to the vet for a spay, that could set her back again.

Keep the appointment Godmother. Brie was terrified of me and I still had an emergency spay done and she didn't become more scared of me. Now she loves her mum; especially when it's treat time.

Thanks, I will go ahead as planned. I have found that the presence of three unspayed females in the house has led to quarreling among my gang in the CN. I found wounds on Jesse and Clara, and I found Bill puffed up and sidling toward Clara one night. Normally they all get along well.

Last time I did an intro with the two little girls & Julia, the unspayed ones were trying to mount Julia... she was not amused! So I thought it would go easier once they were all spayed. But time is passing and I want Caramel to have ratty friends.

Bringing in intact rats into an established happy colony can definitely create some chaos.
When is the spay scheduled? I too would probably wait till after the spay for the intros.

Spay is Monday morning. Luckily the colony with the boys has settled down, but the house is a bit chaotic with new rats in the room. Then for a few days I will have a few of SQ's with me. I will try to keep them in another room at least.

Just saw this but I wanted to agree with the others... My experience has been that taking care of them after surgery is a good bonding experience....

I had 4 very shy brothers that I fostered and while I was working on taming them, the one that came around the fastest was the boy who had a lump removed... just comforting him and giving him scritchies during the first night after his surgery did wonders on having him come around.

If you intend to spay her I think 'carry on'. She sounds like an especially sensitive girl who is living in the moment and really attuned to her person and her current world no matter where she's been in past, the spay won't mess with that, she just needs lots of closeness & comfort after. And of course it will lessen the likelihood of her suffering more surgery later.
She sounds like a HeartRattie-in-the-making....

Fidget, you are so right. My sweet Caramel could easily become a heart rat. I feel so awful for her state of fright and loneliness. So I just keep talking softly to her, feeding her nice things, and giving her time in the bonding pouch whenever I can get her out. I put her in a bigger temporary cage so that she would get used to moving around more, but that makes it easier for her to hide from me!

I long for the time when the chaos around here dies down. I'm ratsitting some of SQ's kiddos, three of my girls are being spayed on Monday, and I haven't finished intros.

I'll just have to tell my boss that I need to take a few days of "family time" to get things sorted out with the ratties! :lol:

I do hope (and fully expect) that she is gonna pay back bigtime heartwise. All the things you do for her - whether she understands why or not she has to feel that your heart & your intent are focused on her well-being.

It's easy to notice when things that are problematic and forget things we should be grateful for. You remind me to be grateful that I don't have to leave my kids to go to work. And feel admiration for those who do work and still give so much to so many kids.

Hugs.

Back